Chapter 1 - Not Alone

The young prince dashes out the gates of the castle, leaving laughter in his wake as he runs through the courtyard and out into the lower town. He sends a quick glance behind him, searching to see if any of his father's knights had followed him and when he sees no one he grins with pride for having been able to dodge his father's best soldiers. He slows to a stop once he's a safe distance away then glances around the town, eyes wide in amazement as he gazes in wonder at the scene around him.

The city thrives with life. There's movement everywhere and Arthur can hardly keep up with everything going on around him. There's animals wandering the streets and market stalls lining the sides. Sounds of laughter and the mutters of the townsfolk as they weave through the crowd is something the young prince had never experienced before. To say he's excited is an understatement. He's ecstatic. Energized at the sight of the bustling crowds, the smells, the sounds. It's the first time he's ever gotten the chance to truly wander out into the lower town and he isn't about to allow the moment to go to waste. 

The prince skips through the town. His eyes shining at every new thing he sees. He notices a few curious glances in his direction from some of the passerby's, but other than the stares they leave him well enough alone - much to the Arthur's delight. After all, it would only cause trouble if they decided to call the guards, or worse call his father. 

Arthur doesn't stop on his adventure until he hears laughter coming from around the corner. He slows, peering around the wall to see a group of children dashing around a row of houses. They all seem to be close to his age, which would be around eight summers. There are two boys and three girls, all giggling as they run around happily. Laughter is all the prince hears as the boys and girls chase each other around. He watches them eagerly, feeling his blood pump with the desire to join them. The desire to leap out and run himself ragged with the other children. He wants to go out, wants nothing more than to go out, but how does he do it? Does he walk in and join them? Does he ask?

Thankfully, he doesn't need to make a choice when one of the little girls stops in the middle of being chased. She stares straight at him, then smiles widely."Do you wanna play?" she calls over to him with a wave.

Arthur looks at them in surprise. He points to himself then asks cautiously, "Me?"

"Yes, you!" The same girl says with a grin while dashing over to him. "Come on, come on!" she says, pulling him over, "it's more fun with more people!" The other children all smile in agreement, starting to pull at his arm as well while they look at him with wide grins.

The prince smiles, excited and giddy at the prospect and nods, letting them pull him into their little game. The grins widen on the children's faces and they start to explain the game to him excitedly, happy to make a new friend. 

Arthur learns the rules quickly enough. It wasn't that hard after all and so he starts to dash about with the other children. He laughs and smiles, enjoying himself more than he has in a long time. The feeling of elation in his chest is almost indescribable. It's like a sudden rush, a surging feeling that obscures ones sense of time. He doesn't know how long he darted around the houses with the other children, but all he does knows is that he never wants the moment to end, but of course it always does.

Soon enough his father appears around the corner, regal and intimidating as he always is. The prince doesn't notice the king at first, having been busy chasing one of the boys when suddenly the other children stop. He crashes face first into the boy's back, rubbing at his nose as he stands back up. "Why did you-" He cuts himself off when he sees his father's shadow towering over him, and when he turns around to face the king he finds his eyes narrowed.

"Arthur," his father says, voice cold, "what are you doing here?"

The prince scrambles to his feet quickly, standing with his back straight just as he's been taught. "I-I'm playing catch the sorcerer."