Chapter VII - Revelations

Start from the beginning

A quick inhale of breath showed her relief. “Good, that’s–-that’s good.”    

“So tell me,” he began as he focused his gaze on a point in the distance. He was trying to be nonchalant, perhaps not to bring attention to either one of them. He was turning a metal spoon within his hands as he talked. “You weren’t by chance involved with the maiming of that guard from the dungeons, were you?”

“I haven’t a clue to what you’re referring to, sir.”

“Good, I figured not. Poor bastard was dead when they found him. Quite the job done on him, so I was told.”

“Really? Wish I had been there.”

“Not that I need such, but please remind me to never piss you off.”

“Duly noted, Sir.”

A deep throated growl grabbed both their attention as they sat wide-eyed staring at a decidedly large and burly guard. He probably made two of them, and he was eyeing them with ferocity.

“Ya goin’ eat tha’?” he asked as he pointed at Emri’s left over bowl. She replied with a quick no, and he snatched the bowl and cup and downed them each in a single gulp.   

“Yes, Mister Tibbins briefed me of all the happenings when I arrived. Are you sure you’re all right with all this, lass? We can find someone else if you’re not. Do not hesitate to ask if that’s what you need.”

“Not to sound proud, Sir, but I believe I’m the only one meant for the task, especially if she’s in it with me.”

“Well, it seems that you know her better than anyone. All that knew or gave two shits about her are long hanged and buried I’m afraid. Their voices are no longer heard; carry no merit here.”

“I wish that were true, sir. But to be frank, I know no more about her than you or anyone else. I think the only difference is that I did once, and I still wish to.”

Their conversation came to a lull as guests and other nobility filtered into the hall at irregular intervals. Several of the council members, including Ryker strode forth and sat adjacent and astride to Emri and Anders. It wasn’t long until the hall was packed, and voices echoed off the bare stone walls. Occasionally, one voice would stand out among the rest, a few morning people, no doubt. At least they livened up the room.

The food was much of an improvement over the guard’s rations. Slabs of pork fat, boiled eggs, oat and bread porridge, a beef pottage, and soft wheat bread were all placed on separate trenchers. Her mug was filled with sweet ale, instead of brewed coffee, which she was more than disappointed about, but she would not complain. Oh no, not after what she saw the alternative could be. So, Emri helped herself to the food in front of her, and hungrily filled her bowl. 

●●●

“Well? What news?” Emri asked as Nora approached the breakfast table. Her hair was frazzled, and she had dark circles under her eyes. She had gone without sleep, no doubt.

A tired look befell the fallen monarch’s face. “None good I’m afraid.” She looked around the table at the council members and nobility that sat there. For many of them, this was the first time they had laid eyes upon her. Many looked on with trepidation, distrust, and betrayal. It was all in their eyes; that coldness that split one’s spine down the middle, or just a simple stare. Nora did not falter under their intense gazes, but rather met them, and held her own steady as she addressed Emri. She kept her voice low, the message only intended for Emri. “May I speak with you in private?”     

“'Course,” Emri whispered in return. She turned to address her fellow council members before excusing herself. They both walked in silence through the corridors until Nora came upon her room. Emri entered first followed by Nora as she shut and secured the door. The room was small, much like the one Emri had stayed in, but here, papers, books, quills, and various shaped chests and boxes were scattered about the floor and table. Some were opened, and some remained closed and locked.