"Yes," I replied with a smirk.

I took a seat on the edge of the desk as she asked me, "How have you been?"

With a shrug, I answered, "I've been pretty good."

"How are things with your beau?"

I blinked.

She blinked back at me, then sighed. Without a word, she opened a desk drawer and took out a big, red book. All showy, she opened it in front of me and skimmed the pages until she found what she was looking for. Shoving it towards me, she pointed at a word in what I now knew was a dictionary.

Beau \bō\: a male romantic companion

"Ooooohhhh," I exclaimed, feeling a blush crawl up my cheeks. Ao sat back in her chair with an expectant mien. I scratched the side of my face, hoping my fluster wasn't noticeable.

"Um, he isn't that right now, hehe...," I said.

"You want him to be, though."

"I-I do." I tried to restrain the giddy smile on my face.

"Does he have any idea what your feelings are?" she asked, propping her chin on her knuckles.

"N-No, I don't think so," I murmured.

There was a pause before she added, "Do you ever want to tell him?"

Yes. Yes, I do want to tell him, but I'm afraid he'll reject me. "At some point..."

She nodded thoughtfully. "Are you happy with him, at least?"

"Totally," I answered immediately.

She chuckled at my speedy response and said, "I'm glad. It seems like he's been a positive influence on you."

"Mhmmm.~" Then I tapped my fingers on the desk and said, "Hey, next Wednesday there's a spring break music festival and I really wanted to take Reese. Could I?"

"Yes, it's fine," she replied in a tone that said I didn't even have to ask.

"Thanks," I chimed. Still tapping my fingers, I added, "Do you think dinner is too much?"

"Just do you, Ben," she said, adjusting her glasses all cool-like. "Don't overthink. The best things you do are usually improvised, anyway."

"I'm not sure if I should find that insulting, too, but thanks," I chuckled.

Playfully rolling her eyes, she continued, "You know what I mean. Do what you think is fun, as long as you're happy. Take him to dinner, watch a movie, have a long walk on the beach."

"A walk on the beach? Really?"

"That's romantic, isn't it?"

"Yeah, if you're from the eighties, or desperate on a dating site."

"Oh, whatever. I'm sure there's plenty of people--who aren't desperate--who still enjoy that stuff."

"Are you one of them?" I inquired, shooting her a cunning look.

She squinted her eyes at me and murmured, "No."