"There will be expectations, Perrie. You can't shack up with the heir to the throne. It isn't done. The press and much of your family and friends expect an announcement of your intentions."

"Did I mention this is the twenty-first century?" I mumbled, reaching for my glass of wine, Please someone bring me some stronger alcohol I'm going to need it to get through this lunch.

"It might be for most of the world, but not for the Royal family. There is etiquette and protocol and expectations."

"I know that," I snapped, aware that my resentment stemmed primarily from the reminder of something I'd rather forget. "It's much too soon for us to consider marriage."

I meant it. I'd only recently graduated. I had a new job that I loved. There were a million reasons not to add the pressure of marriage into that equation. Not the least of which was that we'd only met a few months ago.

"Jade will be expected to take on more responsibility soon. One of the duties will be to find a partner and produce the next heir," she informed me.

"I had no idea you were so invested in the monarchy."

"I'm invested in you." Warning coloured her voice and I bit back another jibe.

"I am as well," I assured her instead. "Our relationship is very new. I don't think anyone expects us to plan a wedding yet."

"Regardless, it is something to be aware of. Your actions are under a microscope Perrie and the attention is only going to increase." I swallowed the remainder of my wine. She was right. I'd already experienced the scrutiny, and Jade had only welcomed more into our lives with her announcement. There would be speculation. There might even be retaliation from the Queen herself, who Jade had carefully cut out of all our conversations. Life outside Notting Hill was only going to get more complicated.

The waiter appeared, presenting each of us with our food and I stared at the plate, my appetite slipping away. I forced myself to pick up the fork. It would be all too easy to slip into old patterns, especially as I sensed that at any moment my life might slip out of control. I was determined not to let that happen.

Across the table my mother speared lettuce onto her fork and smiled congenially.

"Tell me about your housewarming. I'm terribly excited for Saturday."

That made one of us.

---------------------------------

"Could you?" I asked Jade, gesturing to the zipper on the back of my black lace cocktail dress. She turned and fingered the pull, gliding it closed. When She reached the top, She kissed my neck. It was the same cautious brand of affection She'd given me since Monday evening. "It feels strange to have you dress me."

(Perrie's Dress)