14; ephemeral

"ephemeral [ih-fem-er-uhl]"

— 

(adjective) Considered one of the most beautiful words in the English language, ephemeral is defined as being transitory; short-lived or lasting a very brief time, sometimes a day. Equally as beautiful as its antonym, defined as everlasting; ephemeral's beauty lies in its temporariness. Its romantic nature is generally used to describe an exciting or extraordinarily fleeting moment, such as the seasons, a love affair, or childhood.

   ❄❄❄❄      

I start breathing a little faster and my eyes start getting a little wider. I can feel the panic rising inside of me that's mixed with the fear. Oh, God. Not the backpack, please ... 

I almost run to the bench and to the exact same place I was sitting on before. It's empty now. My shoes are placed on the floor and when I look under the bench, I completely sag in relief and literally fall down on my knees when I spot the backpack. I grab it and hug it to myself, closing my eyes. "Thank you, God," I whisper, my voice shaking.

When I open my eyes again, Zach's friends are looking at me as if I've lost my mind. 

"Hey, momma

"Hey, momma. I'm happy to see you're feeling better."

She doesn't answer me, but I didn't even expect her to. I was finally allowed to visit her today. They put her on a stronger medication and she's now calmer, at least that's what they told me. 

I intertwine my hand with hers, feeling her touch after a lot of time, and press our interlaced hands to my cheek. "I missed you," I tell her with fresh tears in my eyes. 

Mum keeps looking forward, not showing that she hears or even sees me. Although it's hard, I would rather have this than nothing at all. 

"I met someone, mummy. A man." I don't know why I tell her this but it suddenly feels like the right thing to talk to my mother about Zach. With who am I going to talk about him if not with her? "He helped us. He's the reason you'll be able to stay here and get the treatment you need. He's a really nice man, you know. And I ... I think I really like him." 

I shut my eyes together and I instantly see Zach in my head. His eyes that remind of dark hot chocolate ... His smile that gets me weak in the knees because he looks so good whenever he gives it to me. His hair that's always so messy but it's like that on the purpose and I wouldn't want it any other way. And then his body that he takes care of so good ... 

I think the only flaw I can find on him is that he's rich. That instantly puts us both into such different worlds and it's hard not to feel uncomfortable around him when I know he's got everything he wants while I've got nothing. Although he never flaunts his money and he's a simple person, trying really hard to make me feel comfortable around him.