Chapter 17- But Our Hearts Will Always Swell

“So you just kind of walked out?” asked Anne and she and Lucio wore identical confused expressions.

“Well I didn’t know what to do!” I replied leaning back on to the lawn chair. A day had been given off to both staff and squad, and in result we were all sprawled in Lucio’s massive backyard with warm cups of tea in our hands. As December was nearing, the weather kept going from bad to worse, but fortunately today was just a bit chilly, nothing unbearable.

“You know, you are really confusing.” Lucio said before popping a small cupcake into his mouth.

“Stop eating those, you’ll get slow.” I quickly snatched the bite sized cupcakes away from him side and set them down opposite to me.

“He’s right you know. I don’t understand you sometimes. Here you go, liking this guy, and you two have some sort of forbidden love and you can’t have him, so you go about life depressed. He tells you that he really doesn’t have a girlfriend, and in front of you goes on to break up their fake relationship, tells you that he likes you and thinks the world of you, and then you just walk out!” she shook her head from side to side before taking a small sip of her cup. “You bring this down upon yourself, you really do.”

Lucio crawled over me in order to get to the cupcakes, stopping briefly on his way back. “Lo que ella dijo.” What she said.

 “Guys!” both heads snapped up at my exasperated tone.

“What?” both replied in union.

“What was I supposed to do? Stand there and say ‘Oh David, it’s ok that you have been lying to me, and to the world while you’re at it, but no really, it’s fine, not like I cared or anything. Not like I spent months trying to get over your, not like I spent hours trying not to be upset over you.’ Give him a hug and a high five? Can you really blame me?”

“Yo no se porque te preocupas, si en realidad lo quieres, lucha por el.” I don’t see what the big deal is, if you like him, go for it Lucio said, shrugging nonchalantly.

“That’s just it! That’s so easy for you to say, everything is so carefree and happy for you! Not everyone can live as happy as you, Lucio.” I regretted the words as soon as they left my mouth. I saw Anne’s jaw drop, but that’s nothing to how I felt when I looked at Lucio. I saw his eyes turn from surprise to hurt as he dropped his gaze to the floor, along with the cupcake he held in his hand. I groaned in frustration and I reached over for his hand.

“Lucio, you know that I didn’t mean that. It just… I’m just so frustrated, ugh… I’m sorry.”

“That’s fine.” He looked back up at me with a smile that could have fooled anyone, except it was missing the usual twinkle; the smile didn’t quite reach his eyes. He shook his hand loose from mine and stood up, dusting his jeans off. “I’m going back inside, I’m cold.”

“I have to get going, I have a meeting in thirty, and I’ll catch you guys later.” Anne stood up and gave a hug to Lucio and I, whispering a quick “Be nice. “in my ear before leaving.

“Lucio, I’m sorry, I really am. I shouldn’t have said that.” I called after him, quickening my pace to match his stride.

“It is fine.” He said, but his far off look said otherwise. He leaned on his backdoor, allowing me to step inside. Once inside we shed our outer layers and set them on the coat hangers that adorned his living room and headed towards the kitchen. He took the cup in my hand and set it in the dishwasher, along with his. He turned back around to face me “It’s my fault, I should have thought better.”

“No, no. It’s not your fault.”  I said walking over to him and wrapping my arms around his waist. He sighed and returning the hug. I felt a small rumble in his chest, before it turned into a laugh, it was contagious and even before I knew why he was laughing I was laughing too.