Chapter 3- We Love Liverpool, We Do

The next few days passed by mostly uneventfully, as I formulated what had now become my work routine. I would get up, dressed, and was on my way to Melwood all before 8:30 in the morning. The rest of the physiotherapists and I, along with the sports medicine staff, would all head to the outdoor training pitches as the team held their practice. If there was any sort of scare with any player, we were on the sideline, ready to do whatever was needed of us. As a fresh-out-of-school intern, my job was mostly to help out the senior physios, bringing any equipment necessary, serving as the newest water girl, and watching as my more experienced mentors worked with players that got injured in the pre-season, and I of course loved every single moment of it. I loved how I was allowed inside the cement block gates. I loved how I was able to be so close, and work with players that only a few years ago, my dad and I watched on a television screen together. I loved how I could say I belonged to something more than just a regular football club, I belonged to a family.

Practices were held twice daily, one session early in the morning, and later on in the afternoon, players were required to come in again for another round of training. As I was required to stay behind to get more experience, the rest of the staff was able to go home for the afternoon, and I was just me and Uncle Rob inside the workout room.

“ I think it is about time you got introduced to the team, don’t you think so Alex?”

“ I believe so Uncle Rob, it has been four whole days of me working here!” I exclaimed as Uncle Rob laughed and led me over to the manager and formally introduced me.

“ Dixon, I would like to present to you our newest physio assistant, my niece Alex.” As Uncle Rob said this, the club’s manager, Ian Dixon, shook my hand. I felt the biggest, smile creep on my face as we exchanged pleasantries.

The players were separated by positions, the goalkeepers, the defenders, the midfielders, and the forwards all training separately, all focusing on different exercises. We started out with the keepers, as I but nearly squealed in happiness, as I shook the hands of our first and second choice keepers. On a corner working on their strength were the defenders. Again, I was introduced, and I was warmly greeted. Our midfielders were a lively bunch, although they could not talk much for they were on the treadmills, working on their speed and endurance. Last but not least, Uncle Rob directed me over to the center of the gym, were the forwards were all huddled, warming down after a long session. Since they were working in pairs, I let myself stare at the men, recognizing all but one. His broad, muscular back was prominent as his training top stretched out across his back.

“All right lads, this is my niece, and your newest physio, Alejandra.” My uncle’s voice brought my attention back to him, and I slowly felt a blush appearing on my cheeks, as I realized he had caught me staring at the mystery player. “Darling, you’re at work. Rape him with your eyes after practice.” My uncle whispered to me. For the fourth time , I went around shaking hands, still grinning like a child meeting her heroes. My uncle saved the best for last, the last two being our captain and the other player who I had not had much time to figure out who he was. Walking towards the two, I nervously walked behind my uncle, extremely giddy about finally being able to meet man who has been captain of the club for the past 5 years.

“Mate, how are you feeling with that Achilles?”

“It has been working very nice, thanks to your amazing rehab skills, no doubt… and who is this lovely young lady?” The captain, Robertson, exclaimed.

“My name is Alex, I’m the new physio here, and it’s a pleasure to finally meet you!” I said, probably an octave too high and all jumbled together, seeing as I could not help myself. He smiled and said,

“Welcome to the club, dear!” as he embraced me in a bear hug, nearly squeezing the breath out of me.

“Sorry ‘bout that!” he apologized as he put me down, but there was no need for any apologizing, who didn’t want their idol to hug them like that?