Chapter 21- PSV We Send You A Kiss

My heart was beating so loud, I’m sure that it was just about to burst out of my chest at any moment. There was a knot in my throat, my knees felt weak and my hands were shaking. I wanted to look around, to see if anybody else around me was feeling the same, but I couldn’t. I  wanted to glance at the clock to see how much time we had left, how many more seconds of agonizing wait, but there was no way I could tear my eyes away from the pitch. My eyes were trained on the ball and there was a tightening in my chest when I didn’t see red legs near them. Weary, red-clad bodies chased it around, you could tell just the amount of energy it took, how exhausted they looked. There was so much sweat on the Red’s bodies their kits looked almost like a second skin.

It was almost as if time slowed down, making each and every second twice as long as they normally were, as if to add to our agony, a cruel joke that we were being played. I shifted my gaze towards the referee and my eyes were greeted by a glorious, glorious sight. He reached towards the whistle that hung around his neck, put it to his lips and blew.  There was a split second of silence as I let out the breath that I hadn’t even realized I was holding in.

Then the sound of victory reached my ears.

 We had won.

However, there was not much time to celebrate then and there for after a relief of knowing we had qualified for the next and final Champion’s League stage, I saw my number 9 collapse on the field, almost simultaneously to our number 18.

“Run!” I heard someone say, it might have been Uncle Rob, it might have been someone else, but I wasted no time in running as fast as I could to David. When I reached him I saw both his legs were tense, all muscles taut and involuntarily moving.

“Oh thank God, it’s just a cramp!” Lucio said standing over him.

“Just a cramp? Just a cramp? It feels like my legs are about to fal—“David trailed off with a groan as another cramp ran through his legs.

“Don’t be so over dramatic; we only played 120 plus minutes!”

“That’s 30 plus more minutes than usual!” David opened his eyes to scowl at Lucio, but it lasted only a second as a wave of pain distorted his features. “Alex! It’s not funny, it hurts!”

“Ah! I’m sorry! Let me fix you.” I told him, still chuckling from him and Lucio’s argument. “Lucio, grab the other leg and help me.” Lucio and I simultaneously grabbed a hold of his boots, lifted his leg straight up and leaned forward, stretching the cramp out of his muscles. “We’ll hold it like this for 15 second intervals.” I said to Lucio and he nodded in understanding. After about ten seconds Uncle Rob was at our side spraying the numbing spray all over David’s legs.

“Well take over from here, Lucio, go on and celebrate.” Uncle Rob told Lucio who was already getting up and running across the field screaming “We’re going to the finals!”

“Let’s give them a good rub down, it helped Hatton a lot.”

“Oh crap! How’s Hatton?” I looked over to where the number 18 had fallen on the field, only to see no one there. Instead I saw a dog pile of Liverpool footballers in front of the traveling crowd.

“He’s fine. This man right here will be fine also if you get to working.”  We set to massage David’s legs and slowly but surely his face returned to normalcy, no signs of pain no longer showing on his face. When he stood up with no problem I breathed a sigh of relief knowing there would be no more problems.

“God job today De Madrid.” Uncle Rob told David as he shook hands with the striker, later to pick up his bags and walk towards the rest of the boys.