Serve & Protect

Driving away from Danny has to be hands down, the most heart wrenching decision I have ever made. Growing up I dreamt for years the day he would confess his love for me. We would run away together, have beautiful babies and we would grow old being Mr and Mrs Cortez. The amount of diaries I had with I ♥ Danny or Mrs Daniel Cortez scribble on the front, back and any free space really. Never once did his confession come with "I am a murderer' oh and my personal favourite 'Your Papa is alive and well, destroying your life without even being there'. When did life get so screwed.

"God what now. Haven't I suffered enough for one day?" I fume when I notice the red and blue lights flashing in my rear view. I quickly pull over the car, maybe I can get out of this speeding ticket if I just... I think slyly pulling my top down a few inches to show quiet a generous amount of cleavage and fluff my hair whilst licking my lips. Other women do this why can I?

"Good Afternoon Officer." I purr sexily although I probably sound like I have smoked forty a day for thirty plus years. Thankfully I am the only one disgusted by my actions as the officer smiles a slimy smile at my cleavage. Nice one Madeline.

"Hello Miss..." Officer pervert smirks, beady eyes never once leaving my chest.

"Rosa, but you can call me Madeline." I reply trying to keep the seductive purr in my voice. It doesn't seem this hard when other women do this.

"Well Madeline can you step out the vehicle please." He drawls out removing his hat and rubbing his hand through his dark brown buzz cut. He isn't a bad looking man, maybe 5'11 or so, not very broad but through his tight police issue shirt it's clear he's in shape. His eyes are his best feature by a mile, brown almost black orbs that glisten in the sunlight.

"Oh erm, yes of course. Do you want my license and registration?" I ask trying to disguise my nervousness with helpfulness. I lean over to the glove compartment to retrieve my documents making sure to flash my bottom knowing I have my best jean shorts on.

"No sweetheart I know exactly who you are."

"What?" I ask thrown by his admission. I jerk upright to meet his eyes. Only it's not his eyes I am staring at anymore as I come face to face with something black and metal. He has a gun in my face.

"Now don't be difficult and I won't have to use this. Get out the car now." I want to do as I am told, I really do - but I can't. My body is frozen with fear and shock, he is still talking but I no longer hear him, all I can see is the gun. My fear is no longer of him or how he knows who I am it's of the gun. Nothing matters but the gun. I will never be the same again because of a gun. I feel something warm running down my leg but right now I can't bring myself to feel anything. I have completely shut down.

I don't even flinch or try fight back when my shaking body is lifted from the seat of my car and carried away. I can't see where I am going, my eyes are blurred with unshed tears. I can feel myself being placed not to gently into the trunk of a car. If I wasn't frozen with fear I would kick myself, for not attempting  some kind of escape, to save myself. Instead I curl into the tightest ball I can and shake.

The car starts to move and I am jolted around snapping me out of my trance, the fear giving way to the anger I feel. How could I not do anything! I didn't even try to fight! I let this happen and did nothing! Well I seduced my kidnapper because I am such a clever fucking idiot! I wish I had stayed with Danny. Danny, will he even realise I am missing? Will he think I have ran away? That this is space and time. He told me not to go, why don't I ever listen. God! I'm screwed this time.

Oh God!

Idiot Madeline...You have your phone still. I struggle to reach behind myself in the confined space but manage to grasp it. The state I was in meant he didn't tie me up, thank god. My pathetic freak out was good for something at least. Holding down number one Danny's name appears and it starts to ring...and ring...and ring. Please Danny. Oh thank god I practically cheer when the ringing stops and I hear Danny's voice.

" This is Daniel Cortez, leave a message...." No no no no.

"Danny its Madeline, I'm scared. Someone taken me, a police man. I'm in the trunk Danny. He...He had a g..g..gun. Please help me Danny. I am so sorry and I lo...."

"Well, well, well. Your not so bright after all." The officer snarls snatching the phone from my hand and pulling me up by my hair. I bite back the scream that burns in my throat, I refuse to cry out.

"He can't save you now." He snarls his face inches from mine. The disgusting stench of his breath filling my nose.

"He will." I spit back defiantly, even though I don't quite believe it myself. I have to believe, I have to. He moves that sudden that I don't register that he has slapped me until a harsh stinging explodes across my left cheek. He grabs my arm dragging me from the car forcefully and throwing me to the ground without releasing his grip on my hair. He starts to drag me along the floor as I scramble to keep up, to try and relieve some of the tension on my scalp. How has he not pulled it out by now.

Before I know it I am tied to a chair, the ropes painfully tight but it doesn't compare to the stinging and throbbing of my face after the two more blows I endured. I can feel my face swelling as the vision in my left eye fades a little more by the minute. More worrying is the ringing in my left ear as it gets louder. The coppery taste in my mouth makes me wretch but I stay still and silent hoping to avoid anymore damage. This is the first time I have ever been hit. In my life.

"I told you I wanted her unharmed!" A very familiar voice booms across the large empty warehouse.

"She put up at fight." I watch as the officer tries to lie to the voice behind me.

"I told you if she put up a fight point a fucking gun at her." He yells, sounding furious though I doubt it's because I am hurt and he feels bad. I know the voice but I don't want to believe he would do this to me.

"I did, she damn pissed herself." He chuckles, grinning at me. I don't respond, I feel ashamed because he's right and he was told to do it by a person I once trusted. A person that helped pick me up after I fell to pieces after being shot. He used it against me.

"Hello Madeline." The voice now has a face as he moves in front of me. My vision is impaired but I can still see it him.

"Not going to speak?" He taunts. Did he always look this evil and I was to attracted by his pretty face I never noticed.

"What should I say?" I whisper the pain in my face intensifying with each word. "How's the wife?"

"Ah so you have spoken to Danny. That's good." He chuckles darkly.

"What do you want Blake?" I say exhausted. My black hair sticking to my face with sweat and the blood from my nose and mouth.

"It was nothing personal....well until he took my sister anyway. I really did like you, it was just an advantage who you were."

"What do you want from me?" I demand through gritted teeth. I really don't want to know the how and the why. Just what he wants.

"From you, nothing." He laughs but the turns instantly serious taking by surprise when he grab my already painful jaw cause pain to shoot through me. This time I can't hold my scream.

"Daniel has something I want and now I have something he wants."

"You said she was dead?" I say the pain not helping with the confusion. Please let go...

"I believed she was sweet Madeline until he let my wife speak with her." He explains coldly and I don't know whether or not to be relieved Danny didn't kill her or scared he will now.

"What if he won't give her to you?" I stutter.

"You die."