Knowledge Is Power

"Danny this is a fuck up of fucking huge proportions." Jared's voice booms on the other end of the phone making me tense. This can't be good.

"What did you find?"

"Blake Frost is Bella's older brother, she is Isabella Frost not Jones. He is a clean cop that has been after us since before you even knew her. He has had a hard on for you for a long while. Always sticking his nose where it doesn't belong, his dick too apparently. He has a wife and two little Frosts that are all very much still a family..."

"But he has been with Madeline?" I snap, that fucker was playing her. There is no other logical explanation.

"My guess he saw her as a way to you plus she is a Vega so he took it."

"That fucking bastard. She is a Rosa now, I fixed that. I will kill him. Why were we not informed about him by the Captain?" I fume. "I pay that fucker a small fortune for this kind of information!"

"Danny Boy this is much worse than before. The bloke watching Madeline followed her to the police station, she was in there a while and ran out not looking too good." I hear him swallow.

"What his wife's address?" I snap. If he wants to screw with my family then fucking game on. I write down the dress and then head over there to have a nice little chat with Mrs Frost.

It's not that far until I reach his house. I want to laugh at the fucking cliché of it all, its white picket face and soccer mum car in the drive. White lace curtains that twitch as I get out of the car. Brilliant she is home. Stepping out of my car I brush off my suit and make my way toward the door.

"Mrs Frost?" I ask the tall slender woman with straight brown hair that greets me at the door.

"Do I know you?" She asks skeptically blocking the door from opening all the way. Smart woman.

"No but your husband Blake does." I smile politely at her hoping she feels at ease enough to let me in.

"Blake is not here at the minute but..."

"Oh I know. He is with with my best friend Madeline. They have been dating for some time I just want to know if there is something I should be aware of." Her face pales and I don't know if she knows about the case with Madeline and who I am or if she is just in shock at her husbands infidelity so I continue. Plus I don't give a shit, she's collateral. Like Mads. "Forgive my intrusion but I just wanted to make sure that the marriage didn't end because he is violent or a danger to her. She is like my sister I just want her safe." I say in a smooth and caring tone. She seems to pale further if that was possible.

"It didn't." She manages to whimper out and I realise she was in the dark. Bonus. I lost my conscience a while ago so her pain means nothing to me. Neither do the tears swimming in her eyes. She married the fuckwit.

"Well that's good I won't have her accepting an abusive mans wedding proposal. She has been through hell after the death of her parents. I just want her happy but the institution of marriage is sacred. You understand." I carry on wanting to vomit at my own bullshit but she seems to be lapping it up. He really should of trained her better.

"Proposal?"

"Are you okay?" I ask with false sincerity. Of course she is not I just told her that her husband has proposed to another woman.

"I need to sit." She mumbles as she stumbles toward a cream and brown sofa, leaving the door wide open for me to enter. I take a seat opposite her and cup her hand over the glass table. A little sympathy goes along way. After all I'm the good guy.

"My marriage hasn't ended Mr..."

"Daniel just call me Daniel. I don't understand?" I say faking confusion. "How can that be true when he has practically moved in with us?"

"That scumbag. I can't believe I fell for the whole I am working over time. Liar. I thought he was grieving, I was trying to give him time. Be understanding..." She fumes and I internally smile. This is better than I expected.

"What did you say your name was again?" She asks, pausing to study my face. She knows.

"Daniel."

"Oh god...Your....Your Daniel Cortez. I recognize you from your picture. Get out now, I will call Blake." She stutters fearfully as she clamber's over the back of the sofa. Well that went to hell quick.

"I am not here to hurt you. If I was I've had plenty of chances by now." I chuckle and hold my hands out to show her I mean her no harm.

"You hurt me when you kidnapped and murdered Bella!" Her comment causes me to laugh out loud and she flinches when I reach into my pocket for my phone. Silly woman, I said I wasn't going to hurt her. Not physically anyway.

"Please don't hurt me. I have two boys that need me." She whimpers frightfully.

"I promise you are safe from me, I do not hurt women. Ever. I will prove it." I call the number and put it on loud speaker for her to hear.

"Danny, is that you?" A feminine voice speaks through the speaker and Mrs Frost stiffens.

"Yes it's me. How are you?" I ask in a neutral tone. I don't want to have to speak to her but needs must.

"Danny this place is beautiful. Wow I do not know how to thank you. But Danny I am soo soo sorry."

"Lets not discuss that right now Bells. Are you safe?"

"You know I am. It is because of you I am even after what I did." She cries but I don't feel anything towards her.

"Bella?" Mrs Frost whispers but Bella hears her.

"Michelle? Is that you?"

"Bella, Blake is going out of his mind. He thinks your dead." Michelle speaks through her shock.

"I did something bad Michelle and Danny saved me. Tell Blake I am sorry but it has to be this way. I am sorry but I am happy and safe." She assures her sister in law before hanging up.

"I told you." I smile. " She is safe and happy.

"What did she do?" She questions.

"I cannot tell you, I won't risk everything. I won't risk her." She smiles thinking I mean Bella, I don't.

"Thank you."

"For?" I muse. I already know what for but having Blake's wife thank me is good for my sadistic soul.

"For helping her. Whatever she did must be bad if she couldn't turn to her brother. Is he really with your friend?" She seems so sad it almost - almost makes me feel bad.

"Yes and she believes he loves her. I can't believe he would do this to you both. I am sorry for Madeline's part. I assure you that she had no idea he was married."

"It's fine. I am his wife and I didn't know." She sobs. Women and tears, it used to bother me. Only one woman's tears hurt me now.

"I have to go. I need to find Madeline. Once again I am sorry for the betrayal you must feel. You shouldn't have gad to hear it from me. I had no idea he was Bella's brother, if I did... Also for your boys too." I say bringing her kids into it knowing that's the trigger for every mother. My own Mother - bless her heart - was a fire cracker where I was concerned. I am only grateful she can't see me now.

Once I am back in my car I can't hold back the laugh that bubbles over at the thought of that pricks face when he realises his wife knows and his sister is alive.

"Jared. It worked perfect." I laugh over the hands free.

"I didn't doubt you Boss." He chuckles.

"Send the present for Blake to the station but I don't want him near it until a full examination has been done. Got it?"

"Done." He says before I disconnect the call and drive away. His wife is only part one, plus she needs to tell him about Bella before I pull that fucking rug out from under him.