He Can't Hurt You Now

Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

It's so bright in here, my head is pounding and my eyes feel like they are weighed down. I take the time to try and remember why I feel like this....nothing, absolutely nothing. I wonder where I am? Why don't I remember anything? How can I be tired if i am just waking up? I try moving, making a mental assessment of anything else that hurts. My head is so fuzzy.

Holy Hell...

Note to self, moving is a big no no. My stomach feels like I am having the worst period pains along with the worst belly ache, pulled muscles a long with it. Oh god what happened to me?

"Danny?" I try to speak but it comes out a croak. It does cause a shuffling around my right arm so it must of worked at least.

"Madeline? Can you hear me? Open your eyes if you can." Danny replies desperately and relief floods my body. If Danny's here I must be safe, he always keep me safe. I pry open my eyes even though the small action drains my energy and the room is still so bright.

"Hello Sleeping Beauty." Danny chirps, only its not Danny. Instead of Danny's short, light brown  practically blonde hair and blue eyes that remind me of a rainy day I am met with darker hair and hazel eyes that belong to Blake. How is he here?

"Danny?" I croak again and he immediately passes me a glass of water with a straw. After a few sip although I wish it was more he removes it, still smiling down at me.

"Where is Danny?" I ask a little above a whisper. My throat is so raw. It's like sandpaper.

"Don't worry you are safe now, he can't hurt you again." He states his smile fading into a frown at my confused face. Who can't hurt me? I gathered I am in a hospital, the pain gave it away more than anything. Wait... Danny hurt me? Never. No way.

"He would never hurt me...ever." I wish my voice was stronger than the broken whisper that comes out.

"Madeline, what do you remember? Do you know why you're here?" He asks softly, holding my hand in his like its made of glass. Why is he looking at me like that? Why is he even here? God I am tired.

I just shake my head side to side a little but even the small gesture hurts my stiff muscles. I try desperately to remember something, anything. Did Danny put me in the hospital? I remember him shouting at me as I sat on the chair, he was so mad but never did he touch me. He never has. It can't be right, can it?

"You were shot in the stomach Madeline. Danny shot you in the stomach." He can't be serious yet the look on his face tell me he is deadly serious. Danny wouldn't shoot me. He always looks after me. He loves me, doesn't he? We are family, all each other has. He is all I have. Where would Danny get a gun.....Oh dear lord.

The Guns....

The Money...

We argued...

I held him at gun point for answers, he wouldn't answer and knew I would never shoot him. It's all coming back to me now, I can't make it stop. It's like a horror movie I can't stop or turn away from. I want to cover my ears and close my eyes. I need it to stop. I was so angry he wouldn't answer me and he just stood there as I ranted and raved in nothing but a towel, oh god a towel and then a loud bang. I SHOT HIM, I SHOT DANNY! He looks so scared, I have never seen him so scared. But I couldn't of shot him if I am the one in hospital. Nothing makes sense. Danny didn't have a gun, he had his hands in front of him showing his surrender to the crazy woman with the gun in his face....that women was me.

"I remember now..."

"Don't upset yourself sweetheart, he can't hurt you anymore." I want to laugh at him but the gravity of what he says hit me like a tonne of bricks.

"Danny didn't shoot me." I demand although with my hoarse voice its still a whisper and the tears streaming down my face don't help matters.

"You're confused Madeline, you have just woke up from a coma... The drugs you are on.." He soothes but I don't hear him all I can think of is Danny. What have they done to Danny? What have I done to Danny?

"No you're not listening, you need to call the police please." I beg.

"I am the police Madeline..."

"Well then Daniel didn't shoot me so you need to let him go." I demand not letting him finish. Under normal circumstances I would be reeling from his confession but really I don't know him at all and I have more important things to worry about than his profession. I can feel my heart start to pound in my head at the thought of Danny locked up in some dirty cell. Like a criminal. It's me who should be locked up

"Madeline you need to calm down your monitor is going haywire..."

"I NEED DANNY!!" I yell and surprisingly it is a yell. I have found my voice.

A couple of nurse barge into the room and start to fuss over me but I can't seem to calm down every time I try to I picture Danny's scared face and him in a jail cell. With murders and rapist and oh god. ... I am going to be sick.

"Madeline calm down princess, I am here now..." I hear his voice and immediately search frantically for the eyes of my best friend and cry out when I finally find him. He's safe. He's here. Oh thank god.

He's here, he's safe...

Everything starts getting darker...

No I want to speak to him...

What if he's not real...