Chapter 8: The Curse

"Right, so what's supposed to happen next is, I'm supposed to come across a woman who knows what happened to me when I was cursed, she then told Rodney that there is a cure, and that she'd have to find 'the tree that boars the blue leaves. In the middle of the Woods of the Forbidden.'" I say remembering every detail of the book I had once read when I was a child.

"That reminds me, why are the Woods called the 'Woods of the Forbidden'?" Marty asks, looking at me with one eyebrow raised.

"Stop, Marty. You know when you raise your eyebrow it gives me the oogies." I giggle at James' disgust.

"I think it's cute, it's natural. Look, I can do it too!" I lift up my right eyebrow and look at James in a suggestive way, just to make him cringe.

He pulls his arms close to his sides and covers his face with his hands. "No! I'm stuck with a bunch of looney people aren't I?"

Both Marty and I laugh at James.

"Well, Marty, they're called the Woods of the Forbidden purely because it holds a tree that is forbidden for anybody to touch. That's why the book we're in right now, is called, 'Finding the Forbidden.' Rodney finds the forbidden tree and, yeah."

"We'll then why is it Forbidden? I mean, I know it grants eternal youth and a cure for potentially anything, but can't people just share it?" Marty puts his empty plate that once homed blueberry pancakes on the coffee table.

"You see, the tree is not a renewable source, one day it will have no leaves, and will be dry from the lack of sap. So they're trying to preserve the tree for emergencies. "

"Oh... that's sad I guess..." Marty looks down at his hands and thinks.

"Yeah, anyway, since we already know what the cure is for this curse, we do not need to talk to the woman. But she may be of use because she is a fortune teller... I just don't know if we could go back to Sun Rock City without being put into jail for life after we murdered Rodney..."

"I don't know if it's safe to go back, maybe we can go on without talking to her..." James sips his coffee again.

"You're right, well, after talking to the woman, we're supposed to go find the Woods, but the bounty hunter will be after us for taking the leaves. I think we should find the bounty hunter before we go and lock him up." I say, standing up to go get ready to leave.

"No, there will be more after us anyway. We just need to make sure we stay hidden." James looks at me in a way which suggests he would like to talk to me alone.

"I'm going to pack, Marty, would you mind popping up to that flee market we went to the other day for some supplies for our trip?" I say, hoping he'll accept so that I can speak to James.

"Sure. Be back soon." Marty gets up and leaves.

"I now understand why you need us..." James says, looking down in disappointment.

"I just hate that I brought Marty into this without him knowing..."

I look at James and takes his hands.

"James, maybe you should tell him... tell him why you did this."

"I know, I know, I will one day." James looks back up and smiles at me.

"James?" I look at him in the eyes with a look of worry on my face.

"What's wrong, Jewels?" He says looking at me with even more worry than I have on my face.

"This curse... I definitely have it." I burst into tears. And James pulls me into a tight hug.

"Hey, it's okay..." He pats my back, hushing me.

"If you don't mind me asking, who is this person you've... you know?" I could feel his reluctance in asking that question.

"Well... you know the other day at that flee market?" I say, sniffing.

"Yeah?"

"...that lady that was selling those apples..."

"Wait, what?" James says, pulling away from me and looking me in the eyes.

"What?" I say, disliking the fact that he pulled away so abruptly.

"You... you fell in love with a woman?" He says in disbelief.

"Excuse me," I say, disgusted. "There's nothing wrong with me liking another woman!"

"No, there's nothing wrong, it's just..." He looks down again, looking like a truck had just hit him.

"Don't worry, I don't have a preference. You still have a chance." I pat his back in reassurance.

"Yeah, like I have a chance. I know you like Marty as well."

"Hey, I'm still in love with that woman, I only love one person at a time!" I say giggling and walking back to my room to pack.

...