Chapter 5: Meeting the Protagonist

"There it is! I can see the gates to Sun Rock City!" Marty points his finger in the direction of the gates.

"Woohoo! We're almost there!" I shout.

"Yeah, now that we're close, may you tell us who we're looking for?" James puts down his foot and drives towards the gates.

"Ms. Meeks," I say, "she's the main character. We have to make sure she doesn't get to those woods."

"No problem, I'm quite good at persuading if I don't say so myself." Marty smiles and sticks his thumb in his chest.

"Yeah, yeah, I could tell when you convinced the Guardian of the Woods to not eat you. You looked so scared." I giggled at the thought.

"What? That sounds super scary!" Marty shivers.

We reach the gates in about ten minutes and wait in a queue to get in. There are tons of guards around the gate.

"There's a royal ball going on tonight, they're making sure nobody has any weapons to ruin the night. Don't worry, we have none, they won't bother us." Marty shifts in his seat, uncomfortable at the thought of explosives or weapons.

Even though this story is based in a modern age, there are still Kings and Queens, Royal Balls, Kingdoms and peasants.

Sun Rock City is the capital of the earth, basically, if you live here, you're either extremely rich, or a peasant, but even the peasants have their own two-story homes with three bedrooms each. Most people would kill to live here.

We reach the gates, the guards let us through straight away actually.

"Weird. In the story they checked the boys belongings and let us go... maybe we came too early."

James drives around until we find a suitable and affordable place to stay for a few nights.

"We preferably need to find a place to stay near the West of the city, Ms Meeks lives there." I look out of the window of the 4x4 and see that the sun is setting.

"Perfect. She goes to a bar near her house every night. Apparently it's called 'The Poppin' Rocks'."

We eventually find a suitable place to stay, get settled in and change for a night out.

"That reminds me, I need to get more clothes from this place."

"Hey Marty, can you give me a sec alone with Jewels please." James steps in between us as we walk along the street trying to find the bar.

"Okay..." Marty slows his pace allowing for James and I to walk in front of him.

"So... what's up?" I say looking down at my shoes nervously.

He looks at me - I see him out of the corner of my eye- his eyes are full of guilt and it looks like he desperately wants to tell me something.

"Umm..." He starts fiddling with the leather band he has around his wrist. "I'm sorry, you probably already know about mine and Marty's past... I just want to apologize that I put us in this mess."

"Hey... it's okay. I understand. It's just, the decisions now, will impact your future. You must remember that." I try to remember all the details of the book.

I stop in my tracks and face him. He does the same. "Now that you guys have me, it will be a lot easier. But don't try get any details out of me, I don't want to ruin your future for you."

He looks at me straight in the eyes. His jaw is tight and you can see he has been thinking a lot about the situation.

"Come on Marty, you can walk with us again."

***

It takes us a few minutes to find the bar, not long since you can hear the music and see the drunk men and women stumble out of there from around the corner.

Inside, it's packed so we decide to split up and look for Ms Meeks by ourselves.

"Okay, Ms Meeks has ombre pink hair, can't miss it, and she always wears her favourite golden-pearl necklace. Let's all meet back at the entrance in ten minutes. And not a second later." I look at both of them in the eyes, probing how serious I am.

I walk around, but have no luck, it hits the ten minute mark in another minute, so I decide to head back to the meeting place. Walking back, something catches my eye.

There's James. Kissing Ms Meeks.

"James!" I call to him. "One minute left till the ten minute mark. Bring your friend."

He looks at me and nods, stands up and drags the woman along with him.

Marty is already there, so we decide to step out.
"Hey, Ms Meeks. I'm Jewels. This is James, and this is Marty."

"And?" She says looking me up and down in disgust.

"Come with us, let's get some food and discuss the matters." I say turning around quickly, nudging James to keep holding her hand, forcing her to come with us.

"Haha. I always loved Ms Meeks. Not."

...