Chapter 3 - Fugitive

I settled myself on a comfortable chair with Rafe and Kalen seated beside me. Brandon poured all of us goblets of gold liquid from a crystal pitcher he had on the table and sat down on the opposite chair. Rafe took his drink with a grateful smile and downed the contents in a few gulps.

"What is this?" I asked when Brandon offered a goblet to me.

"Fireberry whiskey from the best whiskey makers in the Andrysian Highlands," answered Brandon, looking very proud of his acquisition. "I just returned from there and brought these barrels with me."

I shook my head and put down the goblet. "Sorry, I don't drink." I needed my wits about me at all times now. And I had read somewhere that alcohol could affect your magic.

"As you wish," said Brandon, sipping his drink. "What exactly are you doing here? And how can I help?"

"We need to get to the library of the Emir of Sanria," said Rafe.

Brandon's eyes went wide. "Roderigo Valasis's library?"

Rafe nodded.

"But he is the most powerful of all five emirs on the Brandorian council," said Brandon. "You know the protocol, Rafael, you can't go into his fortress without an invitation."

"I know," said Rafe. "But there is information we need that can only be found there. We have to find a way to get in."

"What kind of information are you looking for?"

Rafe leaned back in his chair. "That I cannot reveal." He snuck a quick glance at me. "It is a personal matter."

"I understand," said Brandon. "But do you not think it is better to go back to the palace and let everyone know you have not been abducted? Maybe then your father will call off the hunt."

Rafe shook his head. "Most of the council lords have been against Aurora from the beginning. And if the Blackwaters are back on the council, the most we can hope for is a trial." He looked at me, and his eyes softened. "If we go back, Aurora will be put in the palace dungeons. I cannot vouch for her safety down there. I would not be allowed to see her. If she uses her powers against them, even to defend herself, things could get worse—they would condemn her immediately. The best course is to get her out of Eldoren. Once I get her to safety, I will go back and sort this out with the council and my father."

"I don't agree," said Brandon. "If you don't go back now, there is no telling what the Blackwaters could do."

"I can't leave Aurora to fend for herself, she's not ready."

"I will take her to Brandor and protect her with my life—you have my word, Rafael," Brandon said, glancing at me. "You must return to the palace. Without you the Ravenswood dynasty will fall."

"No." Rafe shook his head. "Silverthorne will have to deal with the Blackwaters until I get back. I will see Aurora to safety myself."

"Maybe we should go back, Rafe," I said, finally interrupting. "We could explain everything to the king, and I can go to Elfi with my granduncle as originally planned." I looked down at my hands. I didn't want to be hunted like a criminal. Now I would be running from Morgana as well as the whole Eldorean Guard. What had I done? All I wanted was to get my mother back, and I had made things worse again. I may not always make the best decisions, but I do so with the best intentions.

Rafe leaned forward and put his hand over mine. "I don't think that is the wisest course, Aurora. I didn't want to alarm you earlier and neither did your granduncle, but . . ." He paused and looked at Kalen. "Kalen, tell her what you saw outside the palace."