Chapter 24: The Social Ladder

Start from the beginning

That’s because I was thinking with my d!ck last night.

“Yeah well it’s what I’m saying now.” I said with finality in my voice as I pushed her hand away and got out of bed.

“Baby come on don’t be like that,” she whined annoyingly.  

“Don’t call me baby,” I growled at her. I honestly didn’t understand what this girl saw in me, besides my looks of course, because I really did treat her like sh!t but I guess people are masochists that way. The worse you treat a person the more they feel the urge to be accepted by you.

“But I love you, Will.” she admitted shamelessly. I faintly heard the shouts of my parents coming from downstairs and sarcastically thought to myself: This day can’t get any better.  

“Don’t start that sh!t now. Listen you knew what you were getting yourself into when we started this. You know what kind of guy I am. We had our fun but it’s over now. I’m not doing this again so I’m going to ask nicely; please leave,” I said getting out of the bed and gazing around the room for some clothes I could throw on. Hazel remained silent for a moment before she turned a ferocious glare at me that didn’t match at all with her cute face. She looked like a kitten that saw itself like a lion when it looked in the mirror.

“If you end this I will ruin you,” she said quietly but menacingly.

“What the hell are you talking about?” I asked with disdain but in reality she’d gotten my attention now.

“You underestimate me Will. You think I’m just some silly little girl who’s got a stupid crush on you. You think you can just use me and then brush me off like I’m nothing but a stray leaf. Well guess what, buddy, it doesn’t work that way. If you end what we have I’ll tell the whole school how f*cked up your life really is. I’ll tell everyone about the nasty divorce you’re parents are going through, I’ll tell them you drugged me at a party to take advantage of me and I’ll even tell Ana about how we’ve been screwing for the past months without her knowledge. She’ll never look at you the same, in fact she’ll probably hate you since we’re not even friends anymore. You’ll be the second biggest loser in school and that reputation you’ve worked so hard to obtain will go down the drain,” she threatened.

“As if you have that kind of power. Come on, Hazel, be realistic. No one would believe you,” I rolled my eyes at her pathetic plot trying to keep a poker face when in truth I was freaking out. I was class president, captain of the soccer team and one of the most popular guys at school so I knew no one would believe her. It was her word against mine. But her threat to tell Ana about what we’d been doing was something that worried me. If Ana found out I’d been doing her best friend all this time it would completely mess up my plan. Hazel was right, she’d never look at me the same.

She already hated my player ways but if she found out about this I’d never have a chance with her.

“Oh yeah? And who do you think ruined Ana’s life? Who do you think told Tara where Ana kept her diary huh? You think Tara thought of publishing her diary all over the internet? Come on, Will, be realistic. Tara is evil but she’s not that smart and she doesn’t know Ana like I do,” she copied my words as she smiled wickedly at me and shocked me to no end. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Sweet, little innocent Hazel, who’d once been Ana’s best friend, had been the one to publish her diary? That was all anyone could talk about this entire week. Nirvana had even stopped showing up to school for the past days thanks to the gossip and the humiliating insults.

“Whoa wait. This makes no sense at all. You guys have been friends since the start of freshmen year…why in the world would you want to ruin her life?” I was beyond confused right now. I was seeing another side of Hazel that I never even thought existed.  And finding out Tara was involved in this was even weirder. I mean I’d always known Tara disliked Ana but I never thought she’d go this far to humiliate her.