Chapter 1

"Katie!"

"Katie!"

Sighing, Katie slowly turned around, her long blond hair blowing in the cool breeze.

"What is it Sarah?" She asked, trying not to sound too annoyed. She had been hoping to avoid Sarah, or anyone else for that matter. All she wanted to do right now was get home, kick off her shoes and try to relax. School was becoming such a chore lately and all the studying was starting to take it's toll. Even now she could feel another headache coming on.

Puffing and red-faced, Sarah finally caught up to her. "Did you not hear me? I called you several times!"

Katie tried not to roll her eyes. "Sorry. Guess I was just in a hurry to get home."

"What for? It's not like anyone is there waiting for you." Sarah said. "Anywho, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the mall tonight? My parents are hosting another dinner party for clients of theirs and I really need a new outfit. I swear I've worn everything in my closet at least twice!" Sarah finally stopped to take a breath, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

"Seriously Sarah?? We just went shopping the other day and you bought half the mall!" Katie was getting really annoyed with Sarah lately. They used to hang out all the time but lately the only time Sarah bothered with her was when she needed Katie's help with something. Usually clothes or school work.

Placing her hands on her hips, Sarah pouted. "And your point...? I want something special for this dinner. The client has a son around our age. I have to look good....just in a case he's hot!!

Ok, now her head was starting to pound. Rubbing her temples Katie responded, "No Sarah, actually I don't. Unlike you, I don't want to go shopping every single day. I have other things to do, like studying. Which I really need to do tonight if I'm going to pass tomorrow's test in biology. Or have you forgotten about that?"

"No, I haven't forgotten. But fashion is so much more important than education. Education is not gonna snag the rich, hot guy. Beauty will. And you know I'm all about beauty." Sarah winked.

Shaking her head, Katie said "Then by all means, go to the mall and get beautified. I'm going home to study and go to bed early. I will see you tomorrow, k?"

Sarah threw her hands up in the air, "Fine! Go home, to your big empty house. See if I care! You know, you're slowly killing your rep around here. You haven't been to a party in ages and if you keep this up, Ben is gonna dump you flat on your butt. Do you seriously think he sits at home just because you do lately?" She narrowed her eyes and leaned in closer to Katie. "Don't screw it up, Katie. Just because your Daddy has money doesn't mean you're automatically going to stay on top of the social ladder. You have to work at it and I guarantee if you lose Ben...." She shakes her head in disgust, "you'll lose everything. You'll be forced to hang out with the losers at this school. You'll just be another poor, little, rich girl." Taking a deep breath, Sarah slowly started backing away. "Think about that." And with that final statement she turned and started walking away, head held high and hips swinging.

Stunned, Katie just stood there for a few minutes. Wow...who knew Sarah felt that strongly? Was it really so wrong to just want to go home? For the past few years all she had done was go out, hang with friends, shop. Even attend the occasional party. Her social life had been pretty much non-stop ever since she started dating Ben. But she just needed a breather. Things had started happening a few weeks ago that had her confused and worried. All she wanted was a little time to herself.

Shaking her head, Katie continued walking to her car. As she got closer, she pulled her keys out and hit the unlock button. Hearing the click, she opened the door to her midnight blue Lexus LFA, her sweet sixteen present from her father. But she really knew it was more like a 'guilt' gift for how much time he spent away from home. Tossing her book bag onto the passenger seat, she put the keys in the ignition and started the car up. Turning the air up and blasting the radio, she slowly made her way out of the school's student parking lot. Glad to be free for the day and headed home.