Chapter Fourteen

When Evie awoke the next morning, the events that had taken place were foggy. Unable to remember exactly what had happened, she was left to only wonder why her throat was hoarse and there were bruises on her wrists and her face. What puzzled her the most, however, was the room she woke up in. She had been to the Cullen's house many times, so she knew that she was currently in Carlisle's room, laying on his new bed, but she didn't know why. She remembered going to Port Angeles with Jessica, Angela, and her sister, but everything became foggy from the moment they left the frilly dress shop. Shrugging it off, Evie hopped out of the fluffy bed and went to find Alice or Rose so she could borrow some clothes. Running her fingers through her knotted hair as she walked, Evie heard them first before she saw them.

"How could you let her out of your sight?! She was assaulted, Edward! You could have prevented it had you actually cared about Evelyn instead of drooling over your little pet." Evie stopped in her tracks, half way down the stairs, and was overcome with the memories her brain had suppressed. Four men attacked her and Bella, two men sexually assaulted her, and Carlisle and Edward stopped anything more from happening, which was why she woke up in Carlisle's room instead of her own. Evie couldn't hold back the strangled sob that tore itself from her throat as she slumped on the stairs, not even blinking as she found seven pairs of eyes on her and two pairs of arms trying to soothe her. She could feel Jasper trying to calm her, but she didn't care. She was too far gone for his power to have any effect.

"Evie," Edward began, kneeling on a step a few below where she was sitting, "I am so sorry. I lost your thoughts when you left the dress shop and I couldn't find them until-" Evie shuddered at the thought. "I just- I can't tell you how sorry I am." Edward didn't meet her eyes, and it was obvious he was beating himself up.

Holding back the scream she wanted to let out, Evie instead spoke. "I- It's not your fault, E-Edward. Don't e-even think it." Her words came out quiet and broken, and she was suddenly glad that they were all vampires as they wouldn't have heard a word she had uttered otherwise. Before Edward could respond, however, Rose opened her mouth to argue. "No, Rose. It wasn't his fault. If anyone's to blame, it's the people," Evie hesitated, unwilling to classify them as people, "the monsters that did this." Rose snapped her mouth shut, instead choosing to glare at the copper haired vampire. Evie was sure that Rosalie hadn't let the subject go, but she would remain quiet while around Evie. Carlisle, who only seemed to have eyes for the raven haired beauty, gently picked her up and started up the stairs, never once looking away from her. Evie refused to meet his searching eyes as he brought her back to his room. Placing her gently on the four poster bed, Evie curled up into a ball and silently wept, Carlisle wiping her tears away and rubbing soothing patterns on her back the whole time.

A few hours later, though Evie didn't know exactly how many hours it was, she had finally run out of tears to cry and her thoughts had calmed enough to not constantly play the horrible memory over and over again. With the calm thoughts, however, came the questions. Evie turned slightly, still curled up on Carlisle's side, so she could finally meet his eyes. His eyes, which were normally a light brown when he was around her, were just a few shades lighter than black, though Evie had a feeling it wasn't because he needed to hunt. "What did you tell my father?" She spoke quietly, almost whispering, afraid to break the already thin thread she hung by. Carlisle didn't respond right away, choosing to instead search her eyes for something.

"Your sister told him that you ran into Alice and Rosalie while shopping and chose to come back to our house for a sleepover. Alice also managed to convince the secretary at the high school that you were ill and that I was taking care of you in place of Chief Swan, so you are excused for today." Carlisle paused then, his eyes getting darker, "Evelyn, I need to know what you want to be done." Though Evie understood that the topic was back on the events of the night before, she was confused as to what he meant.