Chapter Two

The moment the plane touched the ground, Evie found herself being shaken awake by her depressed looking sister. Managing a small smile, Evie stood and grabbed both carry-on's the two sisters had. Making their way through the airport was relatively easy, considering it was so small, but the large crowd that was surrounding the pick-up area made it hard to see their father. Being shorter than most, Evie had to rely on Bella to find their father over the crowd. Once she had located the sheriff, Bella tried to move in the direction, but kept being cut-off by strangers in a hurry. Evie, getting fed up with the rude people surrounding them, took matters into her own hands.

Brushing past people roughly, even throwing the occasional elbow at the men who didn't seem to understand the meaning of "out of the way, bitch". All the while, Bella was being pulled behind her. Eventually, they managed to make it to a clear patch where Evie could see their father standing awkwardly. When he saw the two girls, his face pulled into a relieved smile and he walked forward to meet them. Evie, ever the daddy's girl, launched herself into her father's arms and held tight. Charlie Swan, used to his eldest daughter's antics by now, merely chuckled before hugging her back. When Evie finally let go, Bella took her place, with much less enthusiasm, and hugged her father. It was almost painful to Evie how much Bella and Charlie were alike. Both were terribly awkward, especially around each other.

After making some small talk, the trio made their way to the front of the airport. Charlie had the two girls stand off to the side while he brought the cruiser around. While standing there, Bella glaring at the grey sky, Evie started to feel like she was being watched. Looking around, she couldn't seem to find anyone who stood out. The feeling wouldn't go away, however. Bella noticed that she started to get antsy and grabbed her hand. The comforting presence of her sister allowed Evie to focus forward on the police cruiser pulling up in front of them. Charlie opened the trunk and helped the two girls with their suitcases before all three piled into the cruiser. Bella, faster than Evie thought possible, hopped into the front of the car, sending her older sister a smirk as she did so. Evie gave a half-hearted glare and stuck her tongue out at her younger sister, before sliding into the back seat of the police car. Blocking out the sounds of her father and sister trying to engage in a meaningful conversation, Evie turned once more to the scenery outside the airport.

A flash of blonde hair near the forest's edge had Evie doing a double take. That hair, now completely disappeared, was so familiar that Evie felt as if she was daydreaming. Shaking herself from her thoughts, Evie turned back to the front. Bella, who was doing her best to hide her depressed state from their father, was watching Evie in the mirror with a frown. Willing her heart to stop racing, Evie managed a small smile at her younger sister before addressing Charlie.

"How has work been, dad?" Charlie, thankful for the break in silence, began his tales of teenage drinking and the old couple across the street who managed to wake everyone in the neighborhood with their bickering. Tuning out her father for the most part, Evie looked out the window at the passing trees, hoping to whatever higher power that was out there that she had made the right choice in coming back to Forks. A little while later the cruiser passed a sign that read 'The City of Forks Welcomes You' and just behind the welcome sign, was a smaller sign that read 'Population 3,120'. Evie gave a small smile at the slightly depressing sign, and watched with interest as signs of life began to show in the tiny town. It only took ten minutes to get to Charlies house, or well, their house. The relatively average looking, white house stood out against the green trees in the background. On the driveway was another car, truck actually, that looked as if it had been through the wringer and back.

"So, what do you think?" Charlie asked. Bella gaped at him while Evie launched herself at her father once more. The truck, while extremely old and unappealing in color, had a lot of charm and Evie couldn't help but love it. Thanking their father profusely, and getting a closer look at the old truck, Evie and Bella shared a look. It would be perfect. The rest of the night was spent unpacking and getting settled. Bella had their old childhood room upstairs to herself, while Charlie surprised Evie with the finished basement as her new room. The wall her bed was backed up against was a blood red, while the other three walls were a pure white. Her bed was a full size with white sheets and a dark red comforter. A desk rested against the wall to her right and had a few empty picture frames and some office supplies already neatly placed. On her left was two bookshelves that reached the ceiling and a small night stand in the middle of them with a flower vase that already held blood red roses.