Chapter Four

"So, fourteen years, huh?"

With that one sentence, it seemed as if everyone relaxed slightly. Emmett, still the same as always, let out a loud, booming laugh that had Evie jumping in her seat. Evie couldn't stop the blush from coloring her cheeks once more, but she chose to ignore it and focus her attention on Carlisle. His, now dark, eyes were alight with emotion, some good, and some bad, but he seemed to be fighting some sort of desire.

"Yes, fourteen years. Time tends to go by at a fast rate to us, though." Evie nodded at his words, taking them in and thinking them over. "How about we start with what you know," he suggested. Evie took a moment to think over all the things she already knew about the odd family.

"Well, I guess the most obvious would be you haven't aged in fourteen years. You're all very cold, and you have the same colored eyes, mostly." Evie gave a pointed glance at Carlisle who chuckled. "And then there is the fact that Edward seems to be able to read my mind, knowing when I'm scared and what to say." Edward smiled at Evie briefly. "But that's all I can think of." Carlisle nodded at her thoughtfully.

"Well, all of those are true, but there are some details you seem to be missing. We are extremely strong, and impossibly fast. We don't need to eat and we don't sleep. We have better senses than humans, such as hearing and vision. And we, uh, can't go out in the sunlight, for various reasons." Taking all the information that Carlisle had given her, Evie looked to the floor, worrying her lip in thought.

"So then, what are you? You're obviously not human," Evie trailed off. He didn't mention anything about turning into a large, furry dog once a month, so that rules out werewolf. Zombies? They don't need to eat or sleep, but that doesn't explain the aversion to the sun or the fact that they aren't trying to eat my brain right now… Witches don't make any kind of sense, so that just leaves, "Vampires." The absolute silence that met her ears was answer enough. Vampires existed? Even beyond that, she was in a room with seven of them right now. Feeling her heart speed up, Evie did her best to control her breathing. Having a panic attack wouldn't help anything. Before she could really make much headway with her emotional turmoil, however, a wave a calm seemed to envelope her. But she didn't do that? Looking up at the seven people before her, one caught her eye with his slightly guilty expression. "Did you do that, Jasper?" At his nod, Evie flew to her feet. "I- uh, I need to-, yeah."

She didn't give anyone a chance to speak as she flew through the house, not taking in the beautiful sight as she had before, and walked past the Mercedes. The driveway, as ridiculously long as it had seemed before in a car, was twice as long now when she was walking. The entire way down the driveway, all she could think was why me? What had she done in a past life to deserve this? She was content in her own little world, believing that the human race was at the top of the food chain, but now she knew otherwise and it terrified her. No one should have that kind of power. Being able to live forever, be super strong, and incredibly fast, and not having to deal with the imperfections of being human? And then with some having the ability to read your mind or influence your emotions? The world was definitely not what she thought it was, and she wasn't sure if she was ready to accept it or not.

She made it off the driveway, and was a few minutes down the road when she felt the presence of a car behind her. Looking over her shoulder, she was met with a bright red convertible with Rosalie sitting in the driver's side. She rolled down the passenger window and gave Evie a small smile. "Get in, you'd have to walk for an hour and a half before you got back to town, and it's supposed to start raining soon." Evie weighed her options. She could ignore the beautiful vampire and continue on her way and most likely get drenched, or she could accept the ride, then pretend that she doesn't exist. Sighing to herself, Evie opened the door and sat inside. Pointedly ignoring the woman in the seat next to her, she stared out the windshield and crossed her arms. She knew she was being childish, but at this point, she didn't care.