Chapter Eight

Evie's POV

Note: Italics inside quotations are Evie's thoughts. Underlined italics inside quotations are also her thoughts, and I know that's confusing, but hopefully you will understand.

She would like to say that she had a fairly large amount of self-control, but she would be lying… When it came to the blonde vampire sitting next to her in the car, she had almost no self-control. Example: currently she was struggling with holding her hand back (with her other hand, oddly enough) from reaching out and holding Carlisle's hand that was dangling over the console in between them. She really hoped that the vampire was off his game today, otherwise she would probably die of embarrassment. Her thoughts were interrupted by the low chuckle coming from Carlisle. Out of the corner of her eye, she watched as he brought his right hand to her left hand, gently prying away the fingers of her right hand, and entwined their fingers. Saying that Evie's face was red was the understatement of the year.

"Don't feel embarrassed, Evelyn. It's just as hard for me to control myself around you, as it is for you." He told her.

'Well, yeah. But that's because you want my blood,' she thought, childishly. Another voice took her from her musings, however.

'Maybe it's because he likes you too,' Evie had to control her facial expression, not wanting to alarm the vampire next to her.

'Conscience? Is that you?'

'No, I'm still you… You're just insane,' Evie couldn't help rolling her eyes slightly. She was definitely going crazy… Here she was, holding hands with a vampire, and talking to herself. Evie sighed, if that wasn't enough to get her a one-way ticket to the loony bin, then she didn't know what was.

"Care to share what's going through that mind of yours?" Carlisle asked. Evie blushed, again. It seemed like that was all she was doing lately.

"No way. My goal isn't to scare you away," she told him, letting out a laugh. He smiled at her, his gold eyes bright. If he continued to smile at her like that, she would probably faint. Evie glanced away from his mesmerizing eyes just in time to see the car pulling into the driveway. Reluctantly, Evie dropped Carlisle's hand and made to move to open the door, but at the exact moment she heard his door close, he was outside of hers and opening it. With a small smile, she took his proffered hand and led him to the front door. Silently cursing at the fact that her belongings were still at the school, 'Hopefully Bella grabs them', Evie glared at the top of the door, where the extra key was hidden. Letting out a sigh, she stood on her tip toes and reached for the key, but she was about a foot too short. Feeling a cool body pushed up against the back of her, Evie didn't dare to move. She watched as a pale hand reached up to the top of the doorway and grabbed the extra key, before placing it in her palm. Evie gave him a small glare, "Don't even think about calling me short."

"The thought never even crossed my mind," he told her, letting the corner of his mouth turn up a little. Evie shook herself from the daze she was in, being this close to Carlisle, before turning back to the door and unlocking it. With a sheepish look, she turned to Carlisle, holding the key out once more. He chuckled at her, took the key, and placed it above the door where it belonged. Once both individuals had made it inside the entryway, Evie closed the door, and led him to the living room. Taking a seat on the grey, slightly beat up looking, couch, Evie watched as Carlisle walked around the room, looking at the pictures of Bella, Charlie, and Evie. There were even a few of Evie and Renee when Evie was a few weeks old, but most of those had been packed away in boxes in the basement.

When Carlisle had finished his examination of the living room, he turned to Evie, giving her a small smile. "What would you like to do while you're stuck here with me?" Evie asked him. He moved to the couch, sitting next to Evie.