Chapter Five

"Hello," she whispered. The right side of his mouth quirked up in a half smile before he answered.

"Hello to you as well, Evelyn."

To say that Evie was gawking at him would have been putting it lightly. It wasn't so much the fact that he was absolutely beautiful, but the fact that he was absolutely beautiful and standing on her porch at three in the morning. Most normal people would have stopped staring at the beautiful vampire and let him inside. More like most normal people would have begun stripping their clothes before telling him that they were long overdue for a checkup. With that thought, Evie shook her head, mentally screaming at herself for her out of line thoughts, and stepped to the side. Carlisle stepped into the small entry way, his arm brushing hers as he passed, and waited for Evie to close the door and lead him to her room. And have her wicked way with the good doctor. Evie barely managed to stop herself from actually slapping her hand to her forehead in shame.

Once they were in her room, Evie sat cross legged on her bed while Carlisle took the desk chair. For a few moments, neither spoke a word. They just sat in their respective places and looked the other in the eye. "So," she began. While she had wanted to be in his presence, she had no clue as to what to say now.

"I apologize for the hour at which I am here. I shouldn't be here, but I can't seem to help myself," he admitted. At his words, Evie's heart decided to beat out of her chest. Carlisle's mouth twitched up into a smile, and the resulting blush that colored Evie's cheeks caused his eyes to darken. Evie managed to calm her racing heart enough so that she could think over its pounding.

"Don't apologize. I- uh, I want you here." If there was ever a moment where Evie wished she could read minds, it was in that second when an unrecognizable emotion filled his eyes. "I- well, I mean-," Evie sighed, "vampire, huh?" Carlisle nodded at her, nervousness creeping back into his dark eyes.

"I'm sure you have many questions," he said. Evie nodded, briefly thanking whatever higher power was up there that tomorrow was Saturday. To be honest, she couldn't figure out where to start. Sensing her predicament, Carlisle continued. "How about I just start with the basics, you can ask questions at any time." Evie nodded at him, giving him an encouraging smile. "Well, you already know that we can't eat or sleep. That we are extremely strong and fast, and that our senses are enhanced. While the sun doesn't cause us to burn up, it does make it so that we can't be seen by humans. Our skin is hard, like granite, and impenetrable by almost anything. Some of us have gifts, but most do not. I am one of those without a gift, but my family has taken to the belief that we all carry certain traits over with us after the change. Edward has told me that I kept my compassion from my human life, while he kept his ability to easily read people, and even amplified it by allowing him to read minds. Esme kept her mothering nature and her kindness, while Rosalie kept her beauty. Emmett his strength, Jasper his ability to influence people's emotions, and Alice her intuition.

"My family and I don't hunt like most of our kind do. Instead of killing humans, we hunt animals, which is why our eyes are gold. Most of our kind hunts humans, which gives them red eyes. We don't want to be monsters, and while it is hard, we manage to stick to it." Evie let all the information wash over her, not making a sound as he spoke, but she couldn't hold back her curiosity.

"How does one become a vampire?" Carlisle tensed at her words, a grimace passing over his beautiful face.

"You have to be bitten, and the vampire changing you would have to restrain from drinking the blood long enough to let the venom get into your system. After that is accomplished, the human being transformed goes through three days of pure torture. It feels like a fire being lit on your body, but it is much more painful. After the third day, the pain starts to recede, but it just gets worse with each beat of your heart. Eventually the pain disappears completely, and your heart stops beating altogether." He told her. Evie felt herself wince at his words. If having to live off of blood sounded bad, then the pain of going through the change sounded one-hundred times worse.