Chapter One

As the clock struck midnight on a cold autumn day, a fair haired mother and dark haired father welcomed into this world a young girl. Without making a single sound, the child was feared to have been a still born, but mere moments after she was born, her eyes opened and the nurses fussing over her gave a quiet gasp. The ice blue eyes stared up at them with so much focus that they found themselves slightly unnerved. Against her pale face and the small tuft of pitch black hair, her eyes stood out even more. If they hadn't watched the child being born, they would have sworn that she was not the parent's child, but alas, she was.

After being cleaned and clothed, the young girl was returned to her mother's tired arms, her father hovering over the pair with wonder and concern. The two new parent's shared a look, knowing already that they're new born was unique, but both already loved her more than they thought capable. The child had quite obviously taken after her father's side of the family, and had inherited her unnervingly blue eyes from her great-grandmother on his side. Due to this uncanny resemblance she held to the long since deceased woman, the young child was given the name of her as well. From that moment on, she would be known as Evelyn Grey Swan.

A little over a year later, Isabella Marie Swan was born. Evelyn, already walking and talking like that of a five year old, was instantly protective of her little sister. The small child with brown hair and dark brown eyes had wrapped herself around Evelyn's little, chubby fingers. It was almost comical how Evelyn could know exactly what Isabella wanted. Whenever she needed to be fed, Evelyn would tell her hair-brained mother right before Isabella would cry for food. Whenever Isabella would have trouble sleeping, the dark haired toddler would carefully stroke her younger sister's hair in a soothing manner, before the infant could wake. Renee and Charlie both saw how the two interacted, even from such a young age, and knew they would be inseparable.

By the time Evelyn's fourth birthday had come and gone, Renee and Charlie had gone from young lovebirds to mortal enemies. Their fighting affected both of their children, and soon, Evelyn found herself wandering the forest in their backyard to escape the loud exchanges of her parents. She never strayed far, always heeding the warning her father had given her at two. It was on one of those small excursions that her whole life changed.

Her mother had started a fight with her father over his inability to write milk on the grocery list when he finished off the rest of the container, again. Evelyn brought Isabella to her room and sat her on the floor with a few toys to keep her occupied, before putting on her favorite pair of bright red dress shoes with small glittery bows. Grabbing her white button-up coat off the back of her desk chair, Evelyn quietly made her way downstairs and out the back door. The forest was quiet, as always, with only the sounds of various wildlife to keep her company. She walked a little ways into the forest, making sure she stayed in a straight line so she could find her way back home, before coming to a stop in front of a small stream.

Kicking a small pebble into the calm water, Evelyn was mesmerized by the ripple effect. So mesmerized in fact, that she didn't hear the deer running her way. The deer, seemingly running for its life, bumped into the small girl, sending her straight into the water. Luckily, the stream was exceptionally shallow, but the initial fear of being thrown into the water scared the child stiff. Not even bothering to try and move out of the water, Evelyn began to panic. She would end up dead in a shallow stream, and her parent's would never find her. The fear shook the poor girl to the core, causing her thoughts to scream out for help.

Within moments, her prayers had been answered as she was lifted from the water by a pair of pale hands. The woman holding her had caramel colored hair and gold eyes filled with concern. Holding Evelyn close to her chest and whispering comforting words into her ear, Evelyn slowly started to relax against the stranger. A sudden feeling of calm rushed through her, causing her shaking to stop and for her to look up at the strangers behind the woman. There were seven of them, including the caramel haired woman, all with the same pale skin, and almost all of them with gold eyes. One of them, a tall, blonde haired man dressed in nice pants and a blue button up shirt, had dark, almost black, eyes.