"Thank you, Severus," Dumbledore said firmly. He was now looking down at Harry, who looked right back at him.

"Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry, Nico?" he asked calmly.

"No," Harry said as firmly as he could. Nico repeated it, eyes staring down Snape who was peeking over Dumbledore's shoulder.

"Did you ask an older student to put it into the Gonlet of Fire for you?"

"No," they repeated.

"Ah, but of course zey are lying!" Madame Maxime cried.

"He couldn't have crossed the age line," Professor McGonagall said sharply. "I'm sure we are all agreed on that--"

"Dumbly-dorr must 'ave made a mistake wiz ze line," Madame Maxime said, shrugging her massive shoulders.

"It is possible," Dumbledore said politely.

"You know perfectly well you didn't make a mistake!" McGonagall said angrily.

"Mr. Crouch... Mr. Bagman..." Karkaroff's voice was icy once more. "You are our-- er-- objective judges. Surely you will agree that this is most irregular?"

Bagman wiped his round, boyish face with his handkerchief and looked at Mr. Crouch.

"We must follow the rules, and the roles state clearly that those people whose names come out of the Goblet of Fire are bound to compete in the tournament."

"Well, Barty knows the rulebook back to front," he said, beaming as if the matter were closed.

"I insist on resubmitting the names of my students," Karkaroff said with a very ugly look. "You will set up the Goblet once more and we will continue adding names until each school has two champions. It's only fair, Dumbledore."

"But Karkaroff, it doesn't work like that," Bagman insisted. "The Goblet's just gone out and won't reignite until the start of the next Tournament--"

"In which Durmstrang will not be competing in!" Exploded Karkaroff. "After all our meetings and negotiations, I little expecte something of this nature to occur! I have half a mind to leave right now!"

"Empty threats, Karkaroff," a voice growled from behind them all. "You can't leave your champion now. Binding magical contract, like Dumbledore said. Convenient, eh?"

"Convenient? I'm afraid I don't understand you, Moody." Karkaroff gave a bored smile to Moody, though his fists were clenched.

"It's very simple, Karkaroff." Moody stalked closer, his unnerving normal eye boring into Karkarrofs. "Someone put Potter's name in the goblet knowing he'd have to compete if it came out. And if anyone's got reason to complain it's Potter," Moody growled as Karkarrof and Madame Maxime opened their mouths to argue. "But-- funny thing-- I don't hear him saying a word..."

"Why should 'e complain?" Burst Fleur Delacour. "'E 'as a chance to compete, 'asn't 'e? We 'ave all been 'oping to be chosen for weeks and weeks! Ze honor for our schools! Zis is a chance many would die for!"

"Maybe someone is hoping Potter is going to die for it!" Moody barked.

A tense silence followed.

"Moody, old man... what a thing to say!" Ludo Bagman said, anxiously bouncing on his feet.

"It was a skilled witch or wizard who put the boy's name in that goblet..." Moody growled. "They hoodwinked a very powerful magical object! It would have to be an exceptionally strong confundus charm to bamboozle the goblet into forgetting only three schools compete in the tournament-- Potter had to be entered under a fourth school so that he would definitely be chosen..."

"How this situation arose, we do not know," Dumbledore raised his voice to stop Moody's obviously well thought out theory. "It seems to me, however, that we have no choice but to accept it. Both Nico and Harry-- however young they may be-- have been chosen to compete in the tournament. This, therefore, they will do..."

"Ah, but Dumbly-dorr--"

"My dear Madame Maxime, if you have an alternative I'm sure we would all love to hear it."

Dumbledore waited, but everyone was silent.

Finally, Ludo Bagman broke the silence. "Well, shall we crack on them?" He asked, rubbing his hands together. "Got to give our champions their instructions. Barty, want to do the honors?"

Mr. Crouch started and stepped into the circle of firelight.

"Ah yes, the instructions... the first task is designed to test your daring," he told them all. "So we are not going to tell you what it is. Courage in the face of the unknown is an important quality in a wizard... very important...

It will take place on November 24th, in front of the other students and the panel of judges. The Champions are not permitted to ask for or accept help of any kind from their teachers to complete the tasks in the tournament. The champions will face the first challenge armed with only one approved weapon. They will receive information about the second task when the first task is over. Owing to the demand and time-consuming nature of the tournament, the champions are exempted from final exams."

Nico's heart leapt a little. That was the best news he had heard since the school year began.

"That is all." Mr. Crouch let his gaze fall over each of the contestants before straightening his posture. He looked horrible, with bags under his eyes and papery white skin. In the flickering fire, he looked like a ghost. "I will be on my way to the Ministry."

And with that, he swept out the door. Madame Maxime guided Fleur by the shoulders out, they were both speaking rapidly in French. Karkaroff and Krum followed silently, leaving Nico and Harry.

"Harry, I suggest you go up to bed," Dumbledore said, smiling. "If I may have a word with Mr. di Angelo... alone..."

Harry, after sending Nico a curious glance, left.

"Alone," Dumbledore emphasized again. Grumbling under his breath, Snape left, followed by a reluctant Professor McGonagall.

"Nico." Dumbledore's expression turned serious. "It is very important you keep an eye on Harry during the tasks. The first one, I already know, you can do nothing. But the second and third, it is very important you do your best. Stick with Harry. You don't care about winning, do you?" He asked.

Nico shook his head.

"Then remember, if you finish first, make sure Harry finishes as well. He must survive." The descendant of Hecate didn't break eye contact, making sure Nico got the message.

"I'll try my best."

"Good." Dumbledore seemed satisfied, though worry was still clear in his eyes. "I half suspected something like this would happen, though I hoped it wouldn't. I will be keeping an eye out for the culprit, and I expect you and the others shall do the same."

Nico nodded again.

"Now, it's best you go to bed too. After all, it would be a shame to deprive Gryffindor of this excellent excuse to make a great deal of mess and noise."