15 | Pain

Music: Broken Dream, Two Steps From Hell

                    The setting sun cast a red hue on the man in the small kayak that rested on the surface of the icy waters just outside the Southern Water Tribe capital. Using the last of the rays of daylight Sokka waited motionlessly, spear at the ready. His experienced gaze focused on the water below, with only his blue eyes moving restlessly as they followed what was underneath the surface.

He slowly lifted his spear, pointing it towards the steel grey water and - quicker than the quickest waterbender - he then sent it into the waters. The little canoe shook dangerously as he withdrew almost the same instant. A satisfied grin appeared on his tan features when the ocean relinquished the big fish he'd just caught. He threw it into the basket with the other fish he'd caught and decided it enough. He sat down and took the oars.

Although his current position didn't require him to go fishing or hunting, Sokka went out in his canoe on a regular basis and often surprised the cook with his catch. Venturing out on the ocean gave him a sense of freedom, reminiscent of the simple life he used to live before he and Katara had left the South Pole to travel the world with Team Avatar.

And while Katara had become increasingly fed up with the endless traveling, Sokka sometimes wished he could go on a journey like that again. He felt somewhat envious of Zuko, who seemed be enjoying his break from the responsibilities which had tied him to the Fire Nation for the past three years.

Sokka looked up to the sky. Winter was coming fast, and soon the harbor would be freezing over. When that happened, the Southern Water Tribe would be inaccessible for at least a few months until the arrival of spring. After they would arrive tomorrow, Katara and Zuko would have to continue on their mysterious journey as soon as possible, or they would be trapped on the South Pole for months.

As his thoughts turned to his sister's upcoming arrival on the South Pole, Sokka hoped she would look somewhat healthier than the last time he'd seen her. She had been so weary, so pale back then.

But thinking of her current journey reminded him that Master Pakku had been far less pleased with Katara's new objectives. It had been plain from the scowl on his face when he'd read the letter from Kyoshi Island, which had been delivered by a messenger hawk earlier that afternoon. Focused as Master Pakku was on his granddaughter's well being, he had actually been the first in their family to notice that Katara was weighed down by her never-ending travels. And as her step-grandfather and sifu this had worried him.

But the alternative quest and traveling companion now presented to him by the grandmaster of his Order couldn't meet the protective grandfather's approval either. Taking into account Zuko's background, he wasn't at all sure if Katara was better off undertaking this journey with him than with traveling with the Avatar. And the rigid waterbender had silently questioned the grandmaster's sanity, or at least lack of judgment, when it came to his precious nephew.

With a thoughtful expression on his face, Sokka steadily rowed back as evening fell over the South Pole, the mainland glittering like silver in the light of the rising moon.

A long time ago, Sokka had been the first to acknowledge Aang's crush on Katara. But he'd never been happy with how the relationship between his sister and the Avatar had developed, and he'd looked on Katara's confusion about her motherly feelings towards Aang and his almost obsessive admiration for her with sadness. Sokka had tried to suppress his discomfort though, as he kept telling himself that Katara had to make her own decisions and that she knew best what would make her happy. As had everyone around him.

Except for Zuko.

Of all of them, only Zuko had had the courage to ignore the false smiles she put up and confront her with his concern for her. The firebender, and Master Pakku. Both had seen the deep unhappiness in the girl.