6 | Radiate

Music: Heavenly Lights, Two Steps From Hell

                    The first bitter wind of the season gusted through the night-covered mountains surrounding Omashu as two ostrich horses swiftly trotted over the mountain tracks, leaving the city of balance. A full moon had risen to guide their way while, in the distance, the Southern Lights were still dancing through the night sky. The cloaked riders avoided looking at each other as they silently followed the path, only turning around occasionally to cast a glance at the disappearing city behind them.

Earlier that night, Zuko and Katara had silently returned to their rooms, following Grandmaster Iroh's instructions. There, they had found the bags he'd mentioned and a set of black, nondescript clothes lying on their beds.

After changing into the comfortable shirt and trousers, Katara had put an extra water pouch filled with fresh water into the bag and braided her hair in the mirror. It had been like seeing the Katara from three years ago staring back at her, dressed in those black clothes Zuko had given her to wear, ready to go find her mother's killer. But this time, she hadn't seen rage or sadness in her ocean blue eyes, only a quiet determination and a hint of excitement that she couldn't explain and which she'd felt a little guilty about.

As she put on the heavy woolen cloak and fastened the silver lotus clasp, she let her gaze rest on the door between her room and Aang's and then bowed her head.

"I'm sorry, Aang. I hope Iroh will explain all to you," she whispered, before swinging the bag over her shoulder.

Then she'd hurried out of the room, her braid trailing after her.

Zuko had to resort to his Blue Spirit stealth abilities to reach his guest room without being noticed by his entourage. He'd expected the Lord Chamberlain to be asleep in the room next to his, and so he had been very quiet as he'd slowly removed his headpiece before the mirror, pulling out his topknot in the process. If he left the adornment on the dresser, the Lord Chamberlain would find it in the morning and know enough.

When his hair had fallen over his forehead, it had felt reminiscent of the time, three years ago, when he'd left the Fire Nation without notice to join the Avatar. At least Mai now knew beforehand where he was and she didn't care, he'd thought wryly as he'd quickly disrobed himself and put on the loose black clothing instead. 

Despite the grave circumstances, he hadn't been able to suppress a small smile as he'd recognized their familiar appearance. The clothes were similar to the ones he used to wear as the Blue Spirit. Clever Uncle. He'd almost expected to see a blue and white mask grinning back at him as he'd cast a look into the mirror. Being back in the inconspicuous clothes for a change had felt nice, as he was able to move around more freely than in his heavy formal robes. He was actually looking forward to shrinking back into anonymity for a little while.

Finally, Zuko had ducked underneath his bed, pulled out his Dao swords, and smoothly swung them across his back. The golden lotus clasp on his dark cloak shimmered in the moonlight as he moved. Then he'd quietly gone to the stables.

The city should have been deathly quiet this time of night, but because of the Southern Lights, the streets had still been crowded with people watching the spectacle in awe. To avoid being noticed, Zuko and Katara had led their ostrich horses through narrow alleys, silently hoping for the fuss to last long enough for them to leave the city. The spirits must have been helping out though, because they'd reached the gates without any problems, and the guards, who'd clearly received instructions about them, had only inclined their heads and had let them pass unhindered.

Half an hour later, the travelers found themselves following the deserted path through the mountains, putting a swiftly-growing distance between them and Omashu. The ostrich horses seemed to know the way, leaving the riders with time to process all that had happened to them since dinner had ended.