My Little Apocalypse

Day 1001

It all began about 3 years ago, maybe four. I no longer remember it clearly. Life was so good back then, at least compared to now. Everything was going so well. The long and harsh economic crisis that had started in 2008 was finally over. There were new developments in technology. I can vaguely remember some of them, like some smart glasses or virtual reality headsets. And everyone was relatively happy, barring a few exceptions. But someone wasn't. Someone decided that if he wasn't happy nobody had the right to be. And that's how it started. The pax-108 epidemic, more commonly known as "Eugenius" flu. I don't know who named it like that. It stroke us unexpectedly and without any warning. It began in Algeria, poor warm country, an excellent environment to spread. It was like it had its own mind, or maybe it actually had. The virus was very effective. It had an incubation time of 3 months, time in which people could have spread the disease without even knowing. Afterwards, like an automated machine, it immediately began attacking the red blood cells, killing them and multiplying out of control. Without them, the body was deprived of oxygen so various parts of it began to shut down. That was one of the things that made it hard to detect at the start. In some cases people suffered of paralysis, in other cases liver or kidney failure, and in some cases even come and memory loss. But the most amazing thing about the virus was its adaptive potential. It managed to mutate and spread to all animal species that had a circulatory system. Basically everything that had blood running through its veins, was shutting down. By the time the governments began to take measures it was too late. They issued a global pandemic alert and began working for a cure. But at that time about 4 billion people were already infected. Public unrest didn't help either as panicked mobs, looking for answers or simply to survive, formed and started to attack public institutions. Curfews and martial law ensued soon after but it did no good and the governments collapsed one after the other. The few remaining infected survivors went to hide in underground bunkers around the world, continuing to work for a cure. I was among them. After a lot of hard work the cure was finally done, but then I came to the conclusion that I was the last person alive. I am the last survivor of the apocalypse. What do I do now? Where do I go? The earth was open for my final quest... humanity's final quest.

Day 1060

Wake up. Do some refreshing exercises. Go and eat the same food almost everyday. Check your internet and shake in frustrations as there is no new activity. Go clean yourself. Check your schedule. Decide whether to keep working on your project or abandon it and lay off for another day. Suddenly realize that you are running low on supplies. Make a shopping list. Change your mind at the last minute as the rays of the sun are too bright to bear after staying boxed in a bunker for so  long. Go and watch cartoons or play some video games. Scream in anger and frustration as you get bored out of your mind after playing the same game over 50 times now. Give up and go do some more exercises. Realize it's getting sort of late. Eating again. Washing the dishes. Doing the laundry. Taking a shower and finally checking with the diary. And here I am. This is what basically the last few months of my life have been. I am strong willed and I won't give up that easily but things are.. just, so boring and dull.

Day 1234

Today is 18th of August 2020 AD according to the Gregorian calendar. I don't generally record my thoughts on this diary, but this day I felt something different... something special. It's something from my past that I can't recall very well. Damned virus, wiped out a good part of my pre-outbreak memory. As it has been stated before, the entire animal kingdom and mankind except for me, have been wiped out by a ferocious disease. As the supplies is my underground bunker began to run low, I started to go to the surface, scavenging whatever was left from the nearby cities and villages. The sight of rotting human corpses is displeasing to say the least. No one had time to burry them or at least burn them. Travelling through the empty land, seeing a random tumbleweed blown by a wind that seems to be bored itself, is a scene of almost cruel irony. It quickly flashed to my brain, some random scenes from old cartoons and how hilarious it was when the tumbleweed was going through the head of the main character, symbolizing his lack of ideas. Alright, finally the city. I've been picking up apartment by apartment to search and scavenge. Some were empty, some still had their owners, half rotted lying in bed, or sprawled across the bathroom floor, some with their brains blown off. In one apartment I had the horrible misfortune to see a small dead girl, lying in the corner of her bedroom... and in her hands a small cat, dead as well. I couldn't bring myself to keep searching the area, so I left immediately but couldn't get that image out of my mind. How many more of these are out there? But, as I learned from surviving the outbreak, it's very important to always remain optimistic, always stay focused and keep your hopes up. And so, I managed to find a house at the edge of this city. It had solar panels, windmills and lots of supplies, it was almost self-sufficient. It even had hydroponics basins to produce certain plants like rice or potatoes. After turning the power on, I stumbled myself on a computer. So I said "screw it" and decided to call it a day. I grabbed food and drinks from the house stockpile. I ate, drank and played some new video-games I haven't seen before until I passed out. When I woke up my mind was full of questions: What had happened? Where was I? What is this place? Yet the worst thing was the fact that I knew the answers to these questions. I returned to my secret lab. The research must go on. After gathering most of the life-time worth of research from all known physicists, chemists and biologists I began working on designing a completely synthetic human being. It is my last hope, humanity's last hope. I will succeed, I have to. Before going to sleep I had another struck of memory. Today was my birthday... not that it really mattered anymore.