Chapter 4

Minerva’s heart pounded while Edmund’s lips pressed against hers. So many odd sensations slowly creeping into her mind, she couldn’t think straight. She knew it was wrong, to be kissed by a man who wasn’t even her lover. But god, he tasted like heaven. She has never been kissed before, and she didn’t even understand why she had this strange sensation towards this man. She should get offended by his action but it was too late. Minerva’s hands were circling on Edmund’s neck while she answered back his sweet kisses. His lips were soft, conflicting from his firm body.

            Edmund gently ran his hand through her golden hair and pulled her even more.  She was so soft against him. Her lips were innocent and yet intoxicating.  He wanted to savor this little moment between them. He couldn’t control his own feelings anymore. All he ever longed for was to kiss her and be with her. He already knew that this was too much to ask for a plain mortal from a queen. Hell, he didn’t care at all about his punishment after this.  He only craved for her.  And kissing her like this was the most incredible thing that had happened in his life. He had felt her sweet kisses too, and it made him ache down to his heart.

        No matter how it felt so right, it would still be wrong.  He could never have her. A sudden ache ran through his soul while he closed his eyes and softly pushed her away.  He tried to smile but his eyes had no spark. “Am I going to be dead now, your Highness?”

        He could still see her swollen lips from their kisses. She was blushing and it made her even more beautiful. She was speechless and he couldn’t fathom why she had returned his kisses.  Every inch of his body was dying to know the answer but he was so scared that he only remained unspoken after that.

        “Why, doctor?” Her eyes were full of bewilderment and confusions. “Why did you kiss me?”

        Aghast from her question, how could be a queen so insensitive with this kind of matter? “And why did you kiss me back, your Highness?”

        He saw her cheeks turned red from his direct words.  Ashamed, he watched her walking backwards, away from him, and it took a heartbeat away to hold her once more. He buried her into his chest and no matter how desperate she was to let lose but still, he wrapped his arms around her slender waist and buried his head down to her hair, inhaling her unique scent.

        “Let me go, doctor. Or else—“

        “You will kill me again?” He continued her sentence still he didn’t let her go. “I know you can’t kill me, Minerva. And so I will use that opportunity against you." He grinned devilishly.

        “This is a disgrace to a queen!”

        She was back to her senses, he could feel it. Anger and indignity brought her cold façade once again. “Now, answer me. Why you did you kiss me back?”

        Forcing herself to remain silent, the more she tried to resist him, the more he was convinced about her deeper feelings. But could it be true?

        He shook his head. That was impossible. “Let me change the question”, he mumbled. He was so eager to know the truth, to bare her naked from her disguise. He wanted to know something about her. It was now or never. “Why did you save me from drowning two years ago?”

        “And why do I have to answer that irrelevant question? For goodness sake, that was already a past! Why do you have to ask me something that is not even closer to the reason why I’m here in the first place? Just let me go, doctor! Time is running out for me. I don’t need to answer this. And you don’t have to give me such questions. “