Love

August 2014

"Lowell Daley, because there are so many students taking AP Biology this year, you'll have two classes throughout the year," the principal announced.

Lowell frowned. "I already thought that since the incoming freshman class is twice as big as the incoming sophomores, I'd already have an extra class, meaning I'd get no prep time," he said, confused.

"You will have the two AP classes, along with two Honors classes instead of one, and your Earth/Space Science class for this year. Lena Herbert," he motioned to a woman standing across the room, "who was hired only a month ago, will be taking over the regular Biology I, which will consist of four classes, and she'll also be taking on the Human Genetics and Bioethics elective for juniors. I'd expect that you'd give her some pointers on teaching the regular class, considering that it's her first year teaching as a full-time teacher."

Now that Lowell had gotten a closer look at her face, she did appear just as young as the principal had said she was. She couldn't have been a day over 25, with blonde curls down to the middle of her back and bright blue eyes. I was certainly appreciating the view, the thought of which earned me a smack across the face from Axelle. "What was that for?" I whined, unable to keep a straight face.

Axelle rolled her eyes. "You know exactly what that was for. What is going on here? Are you...?"

"I have to know about him too!" I said. "Six down, one to go, remember?"

"But why him?" Axelle pleaded. "T, He's pointed everybody else in the right direction; can't you pick someone else?"

"You know I can't pick the people, but obviously he'll get through this one; he's the most honorable person that I've ever seen," I replied. Axelle nodded, but I could tell she was still uneasy about this.

"Nice to meet you; I'm Lena Herbert," the blonde said, shaking Lowell's hand.

"Lowell Daley," he said simply. "Follow me, and I'll show you the basics." Lena nodded and followed him down into the science hallway. "On your right is my classroom, which has basically everything that a biology teacher could ever want, so if you are ever doing a lab or a demonstration and need something, just pop into my class and ask. Your classroom will be on the left, directly across from mine. You have lab top tables instead of lab stations like the chemistry labs, and all of the materials: microscopes, slides, lab coats, gloves, goggles, everything is back in that room at the back of the classroom." Lena nodded. "So basically, the room stuff is pretty simple; it's teaching that's not. But luckily you have regular biology, so it's nothing I haven't done before. The Genetics and Bioethics, well you'll just have to figure that out on your own. I've never done any class like that before."

"Are you married?" Lena asked, eyeing the ring on his finger.

Lowell gave her a strange look before replying, "Yes, I am; I have been for 10 years. I have a stepdaughter named Justine, who goes to the middle school."

Something shifted in Lena's expression at that point, and for the rest of the day, as Lowell was showing her how the technology worked, his shared files on google drive, how to monitor the students' computers, Lena seemed completely disinterested. He rolled his eyes; it was her fault if she didn't want to hear him out on what he had to say and her students failed.

"I think I might have a few questions, but I'll look over the stuff again tonight," Lena said. "But just in case, could I have your phone number?"

"Sure," Lowell said, although suspicious. He typed his number into her phone, and she smiled up at him, biting her lip slightly. Lowell did his best to keep his vomit in his mouth at the action. I chuckled along with his reaction; he was in for a long year with this across the hallway from him.