twentysix

"What are you thinking about?" I was slowly falling asleep, watching him staring at the night sky, when I decided to start a conversation again.

"Do I need to think about something?"
"Everyone always thinks of something even if they think they don't, they actually do."
"Calm down Jaden Smith."

"You look upset, Jackson."
"Can't I be upset?"
"It's just that I never saw you like that."
"I can't always be cheerful."
"It's funny because you made me think you can."

It was my first day at uni after the surgery and I felt anxious. People from my class knew why I missed few days and other people around me acted strangely. They were all awkward, like always, I just couldn't notice before. They didn't know what happened and they didn't realise I was able to see them until my eyes followed their movements.

I was trying to look for Jackson but he was nowhere to be found which was really strange, especially at this time. He only missed uni when he went to the hospital with me.

"Hey."
"Oh hi. You're late."
"I couldn't sleep at night so I had a really rough morning."
"Why?"
"I don't know."

That was our only conversation for today. He was quiet the whole time and when I asked him something, he just answered with quiet 'mhm'. No matter how hard I was trying to start a conversation, it wasn't working. He seemed really distant all of sudden but I blame the lack of sleep. Not saying it wasn't bothering me, he had his bad days but always managed to stay happy, but this was obviously something else.

I packed all of my stuff after the class and headed out of the classroom. I was the first one to leave and I enjoyed it because I didn't have to worry about forgetting to pack something and stumbling over feet of thousands other students who were in a rush to get out.

My steps were quick, or at least what I thought was quick, compared to my usual speed. I was stopped by a hand landing on my shoulder. When I turned around, I saw Jackson's upset face.

"We need to talk." He said with a serious tone. I didn't say anything, only gave him my 'go on' look before he continued talking.

"I don't want to be your friend anymore."