The things that haunt me

Mitchell is tall. He stands at about 6‘2 with no shoes on.

He has light brown eyes.

He has Orlando Bloom hair that swings just below his neck.[I love when he passes his fingers through his gorgeous hair]

He likes sour gummy worms. He’s forever scrunching up his face from the sourness and then he smiles at me and pops another in his mouth and scrunches his face again; repeating the process.

He has three sisters and one brother.

He plays volleyball at the recreation center so he has these awesome buff arms.

He likes veggie burgers even-though he isn’t vegan.

His mom and dad are still together. 22 years strong to be exact.

His family goes on vacation every summer. Last year they went to Busch Gardens. This year they are going to Disneyland in California.

He’s not sure what he wants to be when he’s an adult. He’s going to study business in college anyway to test the waters

His favorite possessions are his electric guitar his uncle got signed for him by Benji Madden from Good Charlotte and his Canon EOS 50D camera his parents bought him for his birthday.

He’s always wanted to join the football team but figured that they are all douche bags[I agree by the way] and that he’s better off wasting his time on something else like music.

He is always telling me about songs I should listen to and mentioning bands I never heard of. But i’ll always be a ‘Death Cab For Cutie’ kind of girl.

I’ve been dating Mitchell for about 2 months. But i’m not hanging with him tonight. I’m laying on Aulani’s bed right now. We’re talking about Mitchell.

“So what’s with his hair? I mean like what does he do to it?”

“Nothing, his whole family has hair like that. I’m talking highlights and everything. They got it from the mom’s side of his family. His dad is a blonde by the way. He’s a joker. His mom is super friendly. She and I made the lasagna together when I went to his house for the first time.”

“Wow. Sounds like you fit in.”

“I do. To them it’s like i’m no stranger. I guess cause they know my mom and know i’m a good kid nd-”

“Does your mom know your dating Mitchell?”

“Well.. no.”

“Why?”

“Well we’re dating. We’re not official yet Aulani.”

“I still think you should mention it.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“So how are you and Riley?”

“We don’t talk.”

“Not even in chemistry?”

“Well no i’m Mitchell’s partner now.”

“Whoa. so Mitch’s old partner sits with Riley?”

“Yeah and ohmygawsh!! Mitch kisses me in the middle of class!”

“NO WAY!”

“YES WAY!!! Aulani you do not understand how happy Mitch makes me.”

But then slowly awkward memories with Mitchell sneak on me and i sigh.

“Whoa Scarlett. Whats wrong?”

“Huh?” I say

“Your facial expression did a whole 360. Whats wrong?”

“Nothing is.”

“Scar its written all over your face. And i’ve known you toooo long to know that nothing is a something.”

I breathe in and out. “Mitchell is always so foward. Sexually. He always wants to put his hand up my shirt and get sexual but I don’t want to. He gets mad when I say no.”

“Scarlett, its okay to say no. Don’t let any guy make you feel like you have to say anything else.”

“I dont like when he’s mad at me. He won’t even look at me.”

“Scarlett a no is a no. If he’s not happy then he can piss off. Like don’t you ever let him pressure you into something you don’t want.”

Its been two nights since I had ‘a no is a no” talk with Aulani. The more 

I play it in my head the more of what Aulani said made sense. So the next day, When I was on mitchell’s bed I had said no. 

“Why not?”

“I’m not that easy Mitch and I’m no one’s ‘one-night stand’.”

“I never said you were.”

“If thats the case then you’ll give it a rest. If I want to be sexually involved with you i’ll let you know.”

“Waste of my time.” I hear mitchell mutter under his breathe.

“Oh really?”

“Really what?” Mitchell says to me.

“I heard you asshole.” I get up and slip on my converses. I grab my keys and run out the door. I look back. And he isn’t there. So I get into my car and give one last look at his house. He never came down or to the window. So I sped off with tears blurring my vision.

I’m still speeding when I turn into my street. I see Riley walking across the street; his face in front of his phone. I find my self a few feet from hitting Riley before I turn the wheel all the way and hit the brakes. I can’t believe I almost ran Riley over. He scares me when he knocks at my window. I turn off my car. leaving it in the middle of the road; blocking both lanes. I open my door and get out. Riley jumps at my throat.

“What the hell is your problem Scarlett??? You almost ran me over!! Are you trying to get rid of me? Or trying to get me to shit my pants cause you we’re almost successful!! I can’t believe you Scar-” Riley stops at mid-sentence. “Scarlett are you crying?” Riley asks me. I back up onto my car, refusing to look at him. “Scarlett i’m fine. You didn’t run me over. You almost gave me a heart attack but i’m okay. You dont have to cry. Scarlett please stop.” And before I knew it Riley crossed the space between us and hugged me. A real buddy bear hug. But you see, this not only pissed me off. It enraged me. He can’t make me feel better. All he does is make the fire of hatred that I feel burn higher. 

“Get the fuck off of me Riley!” I yell as I push him away.”You are in no position to comfort me!!! You of all people should know better than to do that you coward! You got away with the bull you put me through. And if you do not get your bony ass into your house you will be hearing hell from me.”

“I’m no damn coward Scarlett. Whatever the hell you have to say to me you better say it now. I will not leave this spot till you do. Because I haven’t been avoiding you. I’m not afraid of what you have to say to me. So say it woman!!” He yelled back.

I stood there. Looking at him. He was just as enraged as I was. And as I opened my mouth to speak my vision began to blur and I found my self slipping into unconsciousness