Chapter Six: He Is Caleb Princely

Start from the beginning

     I nodded wordlessly.

     "Good.  I expect a good result," he said then, finally got out of the office.

     "Oh my God, Ava," Lorry said, turning her chair to me.  "You're actually meeting Caleb Princely!"

     I felt my eyes drying up.  I haven't blinked since Mr. Burghe said his name.

     Caleb Princely is a singer-actor who snags every award every time.  He's every girl's dream.  As embarrassing as it would sound, my mother gushes about how "dashing this boy" is.  She even said that dad used to look like him when they were my age which I internally laugh about every time.

     My table got crowded again from all the co-workers who gushed over Caleb.

     "Go back to work!" Mr. Burghe's voice suddenly thundered in the room that sent everyone running back to their tables.

     Lorry twirled her chair in my direction.  "From what I've heard," she whispered when Mr. Burghe has left.  "Caleb is a total jerk.  Be careful."

     I rolled my eyes in ridicule.  "What are you talking about?  I'm just going to talk to him, that's all."

     "That's the point!" Lorry held out both of her hands in exasperation,  "Don't you see? You're in danger of having a social contact with him.  You're going to have a lot of haters, I tell you."

     "What--look, Lorry," I stated resolutely.  I leaned forward with my palm placed firmly to my armrest.  "I'm an interviewer just like anyone who have interviewed Caleb for the previous magazines."

     Lorry ignored my statement.  "Whatever.  I still think you should be careful."

     We went back to our tasks and I felt my heart beat even more faster.  As days fled by, I got even more anxious.  I don't even know why.  I mean, why should I?  Caleb is just another human being walking on the surface of the earth.  He isn't that dangerous as they say.  Sure, he changes girlfriends like clothes but Lorry has definitely put me on the edge with her stupid warning.  What's uncommon about falling for Caleb despite his jerkiness.  Every girl pesters God every night before they sleep for Caleb's heart.

Coming home had never felt this good--no, make that great.

     "Hey, Hale," I greeted my roommate who was always seven minutes earlier than my arrival.

     I dumped myself on the couch and stared at the screen.

     "Hey," she said without throwing me a glance.

     We watched The Poppy Orleans Show with Nikki Reed and Paul McDonald as his first guests.

     "God, they're so sweet," I said as I grabbed the square pillow for a squeeze.

     Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Haley turn to me.

     I looked at her.  "What?" I complained.

     "Just throw Matt already--"

     "No."

     "Okay," she said meekly as she turned back to the screen.

     It was a hilarious exchange between Nikki, Paul and Poppy.  After thanking the couple for the interview, the host faced the camera.

     "We will have Caleb Princely right after the break."  The studio audience broke into an applaud before the shampoo commercial made its intermission in between the show.

     "I'm going to interview him next week," I blurted out.

     Haley turned to me with wide eyes.  "No.  Way."

     I looked at her.  "You heard me right."

     "Brace yourself," Haley said as she passed me the bowl of popcorn she was hugging earlier.

     I pushed as much popcorn as I could in my mouth before the show resumed.

     The cream couch where Nikki and Paul sat were now empty.

     Haley and I sat at the edge of our seats as we waited for Caleb's grand entrance.

     "And now," the host anticipated.  "The moment that you've all been waiting for."  There was a complete silence in the studio.  "Hollywood's most wanted, most talented and world's heartthrob...Caleb Princely!"

    The audience broke into cheers as Caleb came from the side of the room waving to people and flashing his perfect smile.  He sat on the cream couch across Poppy's red club chair.

     They waited until the cheering died down.

     "So, Caleb," Poppy began.  "How are you doing?"

     "I'm good--great, actually," he continued to flash his perfect smile.

     "How are the death threats from boyfriends all over the world?"

     There was a laugh from the audience. Haley and I joined the hilarity.

     "Thank God I only understand English," Caleb retorted.

     There was another round of laughter.

     Poppy suddenly became serious.  "Now, there are some serious issues going around."

     The camera made a brief focus on Caleb whose smile has faded, then, back to Poppy.

     "There has been a report that someone had seen you use heroine," Poppy paused as there was a tense silence in the studio.  "What can you say about that?"  Poppy leaned forward and rested his elbow on the armrest, his face full of concern.

     The camera fixed on Caleb.  His face reflected his emotion.  He slightly looked down on the floor with sadness, then looked up to Poppy.  "It's not true." He paused.  "But no matter what I tell the media, nobody believes."

     Poppy put his fingers under his chin in a thinking pose.  "Okay.  I believe you, Caleb."

     Camera shifts to Caleb.  "Thank you."

     Then, back to the host.  "But, what about girls?  You're always seen with somebody new."

     Camera goes to Caleb.  "Ah, we're just friends."

     "Which one?"

     The silence broke into laughter among the audience.  Caleb relaxed a bit and chuckled.

     "No, ah, you see, I'm still young and ah, I've got a lot of time to figure things out so I'm not into serious relationship for now.  Maybe, someday, if I meet the right girl, I'll let you know."

     "I'd love that," Poppy smiled then turned to the camera.  "That's Caleb Princely, folks.  Join me again next time on The Poppy Orleans Show."

     The studio audience broke once more into an applaud until the show ended.

     "God, he has a messed up life," Haley said in pitiful flat tones, staring at the screen.

     "But he's still so cute," I cooed.

     "I know," Haley softened.