Rise Of Pandora: II. Seal The Gates

Start from the beginning

The old Gate Bearer nodded and shouted down to the Iron King that he was indeed Arthur Matthews. "Yes, I served many years with your father. He was a good man! But, that is not of consequence now and if you believe that is all that it will take to enter through my gates then your father must not have told you enough about me! You have yet to answer my question, Iron King, and my patience grows weary! Why have you come to the capital and why do your soldiers look as they do?"

"My soldiers have been riding from Ereignfall for the better part of two days now. There has been an attack on Arcadia and we have been riding for Brynhild ever since to warn the Emperor and declare martial law in the empire."

"What group of men were foolish enough to attempt an attack on Arcadia!"

"These were not men, Sir. Arthur...I do not know whether you will believe us or not but there is only truth and honor in my words. Arcadia, two nights past, was attacked by Deathknights!"

The Gate Bearers appeared startled. The mere mention of that word sent shivers down their spines.

"We rode in through the Colossal Snowpeak Woods and we met the Gate Bearers on the outer wall of Sindirin and we informed them of the same thing we are telling you now! If my words and honor are not enough, you can send a rider to the southern wall and confirm it although I do not suggest it. These Deathknights are more indeed real! They are large fiery beasts just like the legends said. I did not believe it myself...but it is happening! Some of my soldiers stayed with the Gate Bearers and are fighting alongside them as we speak, fighting tirelessly from having them advance further into the empire! Arcadia may be lost for now...but there is still a chance to save the lives of millions so now, please, I need to be let inside!"

Sir. Arthur was puzzled and perplexed. "Deathknights you say?" There was a worrisome dread now in his voice. "I do not doubt your honor, Bessarian. I will let you inside the gate. The Survivor's Day festival is being held all day within the Solstice Arena, that is where you will find Emperor Menhara."

Sir. Arthur suddenly called out for one of his Gate Bearers. "Silas, take two men with you and show the Iron King the path to the coliseum and try not to startle the voyagers!"

The young Gate Bearer, Silas, nodded and rushed down the wall as quickly as he could. He found two men and three horses and waited for the gate to be opened.

The Iron King nodded at Sir. Arthur, showing his gratitude. He smiled as he saw the gate being dragged open.

The soldiers stormed into the capital behind their king, the gate had not even opened fully yet. The several Gate Bearers who stood by the gate after pulling it open observed them as they made their way into the capital, stunned and in awe at the haunted expressions on the faces of some soldiers who were not wearing headgear.

They followed behind Silas and two other men.

One of the soldiers shouted at the Gate Bearers to seal the gates as he rode past.

An eternity seemingly passed as the soldiers rode fiercely through the many parts of the capital into the capital. Brais had spoken little to the Gate Bearers during the breadth of their journey to the citadel, his face was fuming with focus and determination, a searing passion that not even the growing rain and cold air of Sindirin could put out. The soldiers rode carefully past denizens who wandered the streets, some of them appeared drunk while others were simply gazing at the thousands of lanterns which still lingered high in the sky, beaming upon them fleeting warm light. Brais marveled at the beauty. It was like the dawn was lit up by one million fireflies.

But many of the lanterns were being put out by the rain which was growing heavier. The clouds were turning dark and the cold air was turning into mild winds. The men scampered, forcing their horses to travel even faster past the boulevard just as their leader had done.