Six

Great Inagua, August 20, 1720

Mary grips the mattress tightly in an attempt to hold in her cry of pain as another contraction rolls through her belly. The pains were agonizing and she could do nothing to relieve the building pressure, though she did find out later that squatting helped the pain a little, Ifé said something about it was widening the hips, she wasn't really paying attention being that she was a little preoccupied.

The door creaks open but she doesn't even bother checking to see who it is, she was far too comfortable now that the pain was gone. The person slips into the room silent like a mouse, they kneel next to her and blot her face softly with damp rag. Mary forces her eye open a crack, just enough to see her redheaded friend. She speaks smiles, "Mary, let's go for a walk."

Mary moans agonizingly but pulls herself up, Anne tries again, "Ifé said-" Mary groans and folds herself over the bed, "She's crazy, I can't walk around like this." Mary feels the bed shift so she turns her head away. Anne runs her hands down Mary's back, settling at her hips. "Come on, we'll just go for a short walk." Mary curses under her breath but allows Anne to pull her out of the manor.

The door swings open letting the humid august heat fans over their faces. Mary brushes a frustrated hand through her hair and groans, "Anne it's too hot out here." It's probably hotter inside but at least she will be away from people. She backs up trying to escape but Anne just pulls her forward, "Oh no, you are not going to just sit around all day! Let's go! Give me that coat and maybe it won't be so hot."

Anne tugs at the sleeves but Mary brushes her away. "No I want to be inside." Anne whacks her gently over the head, "Stop being so stubborn!" Anne peels the coat off and Mary is relieved, though she'll never admit it, to have the damn thing off. Anne grins triumphantly, "There! I feel cooler just looking at you." Mary rolls her eyes and Anne drags her towards the stairs.

She shuffles down two steps then stops, they wouldn't be a problem if they weren't so damn many of them! She counted them, ten, there were only ten. She groans, "Anne, I can't do this!" And clutches her belly, leaning against the wall for support. Anne lumbers over and tossed her hands to her hips, "Are you trying to tell me that Mary Read, the woman who took down an entire army herself, can't walk down a few steps?" She furrows her brow and inches down, one step at a time.

Anne cheers her on and when she makes it to the bottom she shouts excitedly, "Now let's go back up!" Mary's mouth drops open, ready to protest and Anne giggles, "Okay maybe we'll do that later." The pair continue down the dirt path quietly, Anne hums to herself and Mary rubs absently at her stomach, her nerves growing with each uneasy step.

Anne stops her humming and grins, "Isn't this just so exciting Mary?!" She glances down, knees feeling weak, "I'm not ready, I'm going to be a horrible mother." Anne comes to an abrupt stop and whips Mary around by the shoulders, "You will be an amazing mother, stop worrying about it!" Mary bites her lip and nods feeling the beginning of another contraction.

They round the corner into the plaza and a cheerful merchant greets them, "Miss Bonny, Miss Read, can I get you something?" Mary hisses and leans forward, squeezing her eyes shut, she rests her head against the table. The wood scratches her face, distracting her from the pain. The merchant gives her a sympathetic smile, "Ah, the pains have begun." and fiddles with something behind the counter.

Anne combs through Mary's hair, tucking a strand behind her ear. The merchant hands Anne whatever it was she was chopping, "Here, take this, it will help with the pain." Anne watches Mary writhing against the table and nods, "I sure hope so." Anne thanks the woman and pulls Mary towards the beach. "Congratulations Miss Read!"

--

Mary plops down on the nearest flat surface and Anne kneels in front of her. She rests a hand on her knee and Mary looks at her with tired eyes, "You're doing well Mary." She laughs, "I haven't done anything yet." She frowns and Anne places a hand to her cheek, "What's wrong?" Mary shifts uncomfortably and takes in a labored breath, "A lot of women die in birth-" Anne shakes her head, "But you won't be one of them." They watch other with heavy eyes, both knowing it's a promise they can't make.