Maybe It's Better This Way

En başından başla

"Where's Cam?" I questioned when he didn't say anything.

"Dunno. I came in here to find him myself." I stared, not being able to force myself back into the bathroom.

"Cameron!" I yelled, hearing voices down stairs.

"You look. . . older." Mr. Mendoza commented, his eyes roaming my legs and shoulders, the only skin that was showing.

"Yeah." I whispered, "It's been ten years." We stood there, staring at each other, no other words leaving our mouth until Cam came flying into the room, holding my folded clothes in his arms. He nearly dropped them when his eyes met his father's.

"What's going on in here?" He looked from his father to me, his lips pulling back in a mixture of anger and surprise.

"I needed your help with something." I whispered.

"I need to talk to you, Cameron." His father answered.

Cam clenched my clothes in his hands with a shake of his head before walking across the room to me.

"What's up, babe? Were you looking for these?" I tore my eyes away from a shocked Mr. Mendoza and smiled weakly at Cam in front of me.

"Obviously, Cam. As fun and exciting as it may be to you, I don't really want to walk around your house naked." He smiled, but his eyes were dark and distant.

"You sure?" He joked.

"Positive." I tried to reach for my clothes, but my towel nearly fell and crumbled to the ground.

"Here, I'll put them in the bathroom for you." He stalked across the room and set the stack of clothes on the counter, making a gesture for me to join him.

"You're amazing." I kissed him on my way in, squeezing his hand.

Once he was out and I was dressed, I pressed my ear against the door to see if they were still in the room.

". . . a couple?" Mr. Mendoza.

"What is it to you if we are?" Cam snapped.

"I was just asking a question, kid No need to snap."

"What the fuck do you want? I have better shit to do than listen to your bullshit excuses, you know." I blinked, moving my ear away from the door.

I hadn't ever heard Cam speak like that, to anyone.

"I came to offer you another chance, Cameron. You have the scholarship at the school if you want it."

"W. . . what if I don't want it for me?" My hand fell from the knob and swung back and forth limply at my sides.

"What do you mean?" Mr. Mendoza responded.

"Blake. She's been trying to get into Stanford, she's written her essay more times than I can count and just ends up tossing it. What if I want to give the scholarship to her?" I laid my hand against the door in surprise.

"Cameron, son. Blake is a smart girl, I'm sure she can get in without this. You, my boy, are passing up a chance of a lifetime if you don't take it."

I didn't know whether to be more shocked over the fact that Cam was trying to give me his scholarship to Stanford or that he had been in contact with his dad without my knowledge.

"I don't know, and right now, I don't care. I have a life with Blake, what happens with me will be a reflection of whatever she needs or wants." That was the corniest and most beautiful thing I had ever heard Cam say.

"Well, you know to give me a call if you change your mind." I heard the sound of footsteps echoing through the room, then silence.

I slowly pushed the door open, my eyes immediately falling on Cam's hunched over figure in the middle of the room.

"Cam-"

"I don't want to, okay? Just pretend he was never here." I nodded, slipping my arms around his waist before he could stop me. I knew better than to pry; doing that would only bring out a side of Cam that I absolutely hated.

"We have Daddy issues." I stated, tilting my head back to look at him. His lips curved into a bitter smile.

"We do." He agreed. After a moment of staring at his wall blankly, he dropped his head and kissed me. When we pulled away, I rested my head against his chest and shut my eyes, listening to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. The heart that he had put in my hands, a heart that I was terrified I'd shatter or break. 

***AN***

Sorry about the filler chapter, guys. Next will be a lot more eventful!

Let me know what you thought! 

~ChasingMadness24