Chapter 20 : The Truth

Start from the beginning

"I'm afraid it wasn't Tanya. Whatever we told you was the truth." Blake said and placed a palm on her shoulder.

When she didn't react to him hand he began to rub his palm up and down her back in an attempt to soothe her.

"You okay?" He asked afraid of the answer.

"I'm not." Tanya burst out. "What do you think I'm feeling, huh?" Tanya asked, finally looking him in the eyes.

"Angry? Confused? Hurt? Annoyed?" Blake suggested.

Tanya shot him a withering look and he pulled his arm back.

"I still can't believe werewolves are real." Tanya shook her head in denial. "That's scientifically impossible." 

"Why do you think we're called the supernatural creatures?" Blake asked rhetorically.

"We're mysteries. No one can understand the scientific working of a supernatural. Science can't understand us, our working. You can't just do an experiment and find out the reason our bones can change their structure when we want."

"Look Tanya, I have something important to tell you." Blake sighed loudly and didn't meet Tanya's gaze. His eyes had a faraway look in them as if he were seriously contemplating something.

"What?" Tanya asked.

"This is really important." He said seriously, looking her in the eyes to emphasize his point. 

"Okay." Tanya answered in a clipped voice.

"Do you remember Judy telling you about Goddess Selene creating mates?" He asked tentatively.

"Yeah. To prevent the any future wars over any male or female, right?" Tanya spoke, remembering Judy's wistful expression when she had said the particular words.

"It's true. Just like us being a werewolf is a truth, us having mates is a truth too. Every single thing in the legend is true. In fact to us, supernatural creatures, along with being a legend, it is our history. Our past." Blake said.

Tanya was silent for a few moments.

"You know what? This is too much for my brain to handle. So, what I'm gonna do is, accept whatever you say as the truth. For now, that is. But don't think I won't argue over it later." Tanya sighed tiredly, her head spinning due to the new information.

"Fine. So, just like humans reach adolscence and mature, werewolves also reach maturity between 14 to 16 years of age. It is during this time that they shift for the first time and-"

"Wait. Shift? What does that mean?" Tanya asked her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

Blake cleared his throat.

"Turn into their wolf forms." He stated looking a little self-concious.

Tanya looked stupefied. Her eyes widened and her lips parted in shock.

"So, you are 20 years old. That means, you have already shifted?" Tanya asked fearfully.

"Yeah." Blake replied carefully observing her reaction. "You don't have to be scared of me Tanya. I won't hurt you." He said cautiously, a little hurt.

"Shift." Tanya commanded.

"What?" Blake asked bewildered.

"I said shift. If you're really a werewolf, then shift." Tanya commanded once again.

When Blake didn't move for the next couple of seconds, she sneered at him.

"See? I knew you guys were just messing with my head and lying to me. What do you take me for? Do you really think that you could lie to me, so blantantly, and I'd believe you? I'm not that foolish." She spat out the last sentence.