Chapter One

LIBERTY

          The sky is a brilliant blue today as I watch her walk home. She looks around as if she could sense my presence; I turn away from the mirror.

FREEDOM

"Freedom!"

I shake off the feeling that someone is watching me, and start walking after towards home. This isn't the first time I've felt this way, but I feel the strongest connection to this person when I'm at my mirror.

"I'm coming, just a second!" I say.
I love my mother, but lately something has changed about her; she has been very overprotective and scared.

I rush towards the door, just as my little brother Dexter wraps his arms around my legs. He's my youngest brother; my oldest brother is Jax. And even though he is closer to my age, being sixteen, I barely see him. I rack my brain for an excuse, but nothing comes to mind. I must have spent too much time looking around again.

"You had better have a good reason for being late again. Freedom this is the third time you have been late. If you keep this up you will no longer be able to visit the observatory. And why..."

I zone out and think about the last couple of days.
I feel someone watching me when I look in the mirror. Sometimes at random points in the day, I hear someone in my mind with a voice as loud and calm as an ocean. This voice screams for help. She sounds like me.

"Freedom? Freedom! Are you listening to me?"

My mom isn't usually like this, but lately she has been scared. She has been worrying about me getting home three minutes late. She knows that I have been walking this path for almost two years, but now she feels as if it is unsafe.

"Uhhh, yes?"

"Is that a question?"

"Ummm, no?"

"That's it, I've had enough, until you learn more responsibility, you are grounded. More specifically no visiting the observatory or library. I don't know what has gotten into you lately, you act like you are listening to something the rest of us can't hear..."

I have to try to stop looking like that. If I keep it up, I know that with the way mom has been acting lately, she will ground me for life.

"Freedom! Stop zoning out! Go to your room!"

This is going to be harder than I thought.

"Okay."

At least I can try to figure out the mystery of my mirror. I sit down and look into my mirror. My mirror is a full-length mirror with a golden frame and decorated like the Galaxy. I look at my reflection, but it's not me it's someone else. She has hair so black, it looks like the night sky. I look into her sad violet eyes and see a tear roll down her pale cheek. It lands on the edge of my frame and glistens like the sun; I look closer, suddenly curious.

"Fee? Fee?" Says Dexter.

Startled, I stop looking at the tear and look at Dex. Mom does not seem to act differently to him; I wonder why. I glance at the mirror for a second, but my own eyes look back at me.

"Fee?"

I have to stop zoning out.

"Yeah?"

"I can't sleep."

I look up at the clock, it's well past his bedtime.

"Are you having nightmares again?" I ask giving him a sympathetic look.

Lately they have been very bad and vivid.

He shakes his head.  "Mommy's crying."

LIBERTY

          I walk to my mirror and say, "Show me Freedom please."

"Who are you talking to?" Says the mirror.

"You!"

"Who? My name isn't 'you.'"

My mirror has a... different sense of humor. She also likes rhymes.

"Cassie, Cassie, on the wall show me Freedom for us all."

"So, do you want to see Freedom or..."

"Just show me her!"

Instantly the mirror changed. Before me now was, Freedom. She had blonde hair so blonde it looked white. She looked pale, but had rosy cheeks. I stared into her light emerald eyes and she stared back. I wanted to tell her everything, but it was too soon. I know I need to look away, but I can't. I tell myself not to cry, but it doesn't work. A stubborn tear rolls down my face and finally falls in front of her. Before I can remove it though, I see Dexter, and turn away from the mirror.

"Cassie, I don't want to see anymore."

She hears my sad toe and knows not to bother me. I know she wants to help, but right now I need to be alone. I walk over to my bed and cry softly.

FREEDOM

          I look over at Dex; he and I share a silent look. We both know Mom is tough and never cries; I can tell he is afraid. I look into his eyes, and for some reason, he looks so much older than he is. I can tell he is hiding something, but I don't say anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

I really hope you are enjoying the book so far. I wrote this first chapter when I was 11/12, so I will be editing it soon and the chapters to come when I am done. I am going to finish this book, but it will take awhile. My school's summer is soon so I will be able to write more often (hopefully).
SIDE NOTE: I do not have a certain day/time when I write. I will normally write when I feel I have inspiration and/or time.

THANK YOU FOR READING!!!!!

Question Of the Chapter: What is your favorite song?
Author's Answer: I have a LOT of favorite songs, but here are some of my favorite artists: Bruno Mars, Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, Taylor Swift, Andy Grammar, Carrie Underwood, and LOTS of other ones. But these are only a few. (I also love country music)