2. PETER

Peter Pettigrew was just as shocked as Sirius and just as uncomfortable as James when Remus Lupin entered their compartment nervously. 

Remus Lupin, the backstabbing bastard (as Sirius called him), was standing in their compartment with his trunk in his tow, looking about anxiously. Peter didn't need to be an expert at Divination to know what was to enfold. 

Just as Peter had expected, Sirius Black stood up all of a sudden and spat out a series of angry words at Remus Lupin. Peter's eyes grew twice their size at the varying array of words that Sirius was throwing at him.

Remus Lupin shouldn't be allowed to sit with them, for he was no friend, he was a traitor, said Sirius, though the language he used was much more colourful. Peter swallowed thick air and looked at Remus Lupin, waiting for his reply, but nothing came. It was quite evident that the boy with the trunk at his legs was close to tears.

"You're being over-dramatic now, Sirius," sighed James, "We've been over this-"

"You're right we have!" said Sirius, resolutely avoiding Remus. "And I still stand my point. He-is-not-a-friend."

"So what am I now? Your enemy?" asked Remus, his voice cracking at the last word.

Sirius shot him an icy glance, but only for a moment before he was back at his seat, looking out moodily with his arms folded across his chest. Remus stood there, looking from Sirius to James to the door which led out of the compartment.

"Oh just sit down!" said James irritated, and sent Remus's trunk flying under the seat with a simple flick of his wand. Remus cast one last glance towards Sirius who was busy staring angrily at the countryside passing outside the window, and then sat next to Peter.

Peter smiled awkwardly and said a quiet "Hello," wondering all the while if he should apologise for not replying to Remus's letter. Remus smiled back.

James was still standing in the middle of the quiet compartment, staring at Sirius with his eyebrows scrunched up. He heaved a big sigh while shaking his head and sat right next to his sulky best friend.

The sunny countryside turned into dark woods and yet no one had uttered a single word. Peter thought he ought to say something before the silence ate up his brain.

"How was your summer?" he asked Remus, in an attempt to start some polite conversation.

"Good. How was yours?" said Remus.

"Good."

That was it. Nothing ensued this little exchange of words, till James finally said, "I need some air." He then proceeded to leave the compartment while also dragging a brooding Sirius in his tow. 

______

A/N: I'm sorry if something seemed off in this chapter, I'm feeling quite under the weather and this is the best I could do. 

Sirius is such a drama-queen tbh. What did you think of this chapter?

Please vote if you like it. :)