Chapter 3

OFFICER BROWN'S POV (POINT OF VIEW)

          I drive my car up the driveway of a run-down house. I park my car, and get out. With each step, I hear a crunch from the gravel below me.

          I reach the door and knock. I check the time, seven o'clock exactly. While waiting, I brush off all the fuzz and dust from my navy blue uniform. Then, the door begins to creek open.

          "Hello, Officer. Why don't you come in sir?" She pulls the door wide open and gestures to come in.

          "Why, thank you, Mad'am. I am here to pick up Chloe." I say as I walk in the small home. I take off my cap in a sign of respect.

          "Oh, call me Miss. Baur." Miss. Baur says. She sits on the couch and I follow. I sit as well. The couch is rather uncomfortable. It's ichy and lumpy.

          "Well, alright, Miss. Baur, where is your daughter, Chloe? I must take her to the station now." I ask.

          "I told her to stay in her room until the police get here." Miss. Baur explains. She walks to the bottom of the stairs and calls for Chloe.

          "Chloe! Chloe! Come down here!" She yells, but no respond. Miss. Baur begins to walk up stairs to her room, so I follow along. She tries to open the door, but it won't open! I offer to open the door, but I can't either!

          "Stand back." I say with bravery. I take a few steps back from the door to get a running start. I run with my right shoulder toward the door. I hit the door and I break the whole door down with a loud thud! As I walk through the door way, I notice the chair tipped over. Chloe must have put the chair under the doorknob so it counldn't be opened.

          "She's not in here!" Miss. Baur screechs as she slaps her hands on her face. She starts to look around the room, in the closet, under the bed, but Chloe wasn't anywhere to be found.

          I quickly notice the window wide open without a screen. I walk over to the window and look out of it. I glance straight down at the ground and see two footprints in the mud. She must have jumped out!

          "Looks like she escaped." I say as I point toward the window. All Miss. Baur does in response, is gasp.

          "Don't worry, we will find her. I will call in a troop to start looking. Everything will be fine." I say to try to calm her down.

          "Alright. But, Officer... are you sure she was the murderer?" She asks.

          "Yes. We did lots of research and background tests of both Chloe Baur and Poppi Finch. We are positive."

          "I just can't believe my daughter would do such a thing!"

          "I am sorry, but I should head back to the station to call in the troops." I say.

                                                                  * * * * * * *

          Back at the station, everything is silent. No big emergencies recently. But, that's going to change. I hustle over to my partner, Richard King.

          "Chloe Baur is missing! We need to send out search troops to find her! We don't want her causing any more trouble, understand?" I yell in Richards' face. Some of my spit landed on his face while I was shouting at him. He jumps from being startled, drops the jelly-filled donut from his mouth, and hops up from his chair.

           "Yes, Sir." He says sheepishly back.

          "Good! Now get a move on it!" I shout at him. He grabs all his papers and runs to get a troop togethor.

          One hour later, I see a armed troop marching out the station door.

          "I got the troop togethor, they are headed to look for Chloe Baur right now." Richard says to me. In response, I just give him a thumbs up.