s i x t e e n

Começar do início

"You still manage to surprise me, Miss Cleveland." He laughs, "How do you know Italian, then?"

"My Mom was Italian." I tell him, already considering how to get away from the topic of my parents. "We visited a few times before the war. Speaking of that, how did this place manage to survive?"

Our appetizers come quick, and Taylor speaks in between bites. "It didn't. Becca and I built it up again after the Rebels left. Some chefs were looking for jobs, so we gave it to them. The Head Chef actually claims he used to cook for the Royals."

I almost choke on my food, "What?"

"You do know about the Royals? Right?" He questions, to which I nod my head hesitantly. "Well, when we hired the Chef, he told us loads about them. Apparently, King Tobias Kensley and his wife Isabella were killed in their chambers and both their kids went missing."

"No way." I reply quietly, almost too quiet. I suddenly don't feel like eating anymore. "That can't be true."

But the waiter doesn't notice, as he takes our plates and returns with our Main Meals.

"Yeah I know, it's crazy." He takes a sip of his wine, "He said the Rebels were after their little girl, Ingrid, so Tristan, her brother, ran away with her. But of course, loads of conspiracy theories have been made. Most people just think they're dead and the Rebels won't admit they killed two kids."

"What do you think? Personally?"

He glances up from his food now, I could see the clear certainty in his eyes. "Personally? I think the Royals secrets were more darker than that. I don't remember much about my parents or my Grandma, but I remember that she adored them all. Their security was insane, as well. So I think they had a rat. A traitor, somewhere on the inside. And I think they killed them."

"Interesting." He's smart. "So how's things with Alexi? She seems to be doing okay."

His jaw locks at my question, "You don't sleep in a room close to hers. She cries herself to sleep every night."

"Oh."

He places his knife and fork down, "Asher was her other half, they've always been inseparable. Tyler hurt Asher a lot when they were younger, and he hurt Lexi too but she's always been a fighter. Asher was innocent, quiet. It destroyed him. He was a good kid, he didn't deserve what happened to him."

"How do people not know about this? Surely people would act if they knew such fucked up things were going on?"

Of course I knew they wouldn't. Humans are cowardly creatures. But Taylor didn't need to know I think that.

No one needs to know.

"The general population doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know it doesn't know. Word is the surviving adults are attempting to establish a Government of some sort. But even if they do, it won't work."

"Because everyone is so accustomed to the law of the streets that it no longer matters." I think out loud, gaining a proud nod from Tay. "What I don't understand is why Alexi let Tyler live in the first place if he harmed her and Asher previously. Surely she would've seen him around?"

"We're Vipers, Arry." Taylor says as though that's the answer to everything. "When we declare loyalty to our cause, we forget all other events that we need to avenge. It's like another chance at living. That's why she didn't go after him, because he didn't provoke her. That's the thing about a viper, you see, they got no reason to bite you if you don't step on them first. You understand?"

"Yeah I do."

I really did.

A new chance to start again, leaving the past in the past. Where it belongs.