* * * 

The morning after Asher's death was the quietest I had ever experienced at The Viper's base.

Everyone had found out quickly. All the doors were closed, the people hidden away in their rooms.

Dylan had covered all the mirrors in the house with black silk, another superstition according to Addy.

And the silence was deafening.

Everybody was mourning the boy's murder. He may not have been an official member, but he was still one of them.

My soul cried for Alexi. She lost her brother, and despite never experiencing that pain, I could imagine how horrible it would be.

Losing both of my parents and most of my friends was the worst thing that ever happened to me.

Death is one evil son of a bitch.

A knock on my door shook me out of my personal abyss. I leaned upwards, biting my lip as Taylor's green eyes caught mine almost effortlessly.

They calmed me instantly, exterminating all callous thoughts from my mind.

For that moment, everything was whole again.

I was whole.

Holy fuck.

A ghost smile hinted on his features, yet no emotions could be visibly seen. "Everyone's in the game room, aside from Lexi and Becca. You're welcome, if you want to come."

I pause, "Do you have food?"

"Hayden's there, of course we have food." He deadpans, rolling his eyes.

I send him a half smile, jumping off my bed and following him downstairs.

Ignoring everyone else, I walk straight to the food table and instantly shove a handful of fries into my mouth.

Jesse tries to stifle a chuckle as he watches me, I shrug and play it off.

"What are you guys talking about?" I question, my words coming out muffled due to my full mouth.

I love food.

"The city."

At my confused stare, Jesse continued with a soft smile on his face.

"Our parents used to tell us stories of what the cities were like when they were filled with people."

"You don't remember?" I ask, my brows furrowing.

How could they not remember something so magical?

"Most of us never visited the cities." River explained, a tidal wave of sadness consuming his eyes. "It was something Asher always wanted to do."

"He's with the angels now." I try to soothe gently, "He's with our King and Queen."

"They weren't Asher's King and Queen." Jesse said in a clipped tone, I tense up. "The war ruined this city, and everyone else with it."

"You do know why the war started, right?" I reply without hesitation, desperately trying not to show any visible signs of anger or aggression. "You do know it wasn't the King and Queen's fault?"

"Why would I? Do you think anyone told common people like us?" Jesse stares in disbelief, staring at me as if I'd lost my mind.

"The rebels wanted the Princess." I say in a small voice, taking a deep breath. "The leader wanted to kidnap the Princess, and give her to his son."

"They wanted to give her to Tyler." Taylor forced out, his jaw locking as he studied me carefully.

Don't react. "You're with the rebels? Alexi's with the rebels?"

Am I living with the people who helped kill my parents?

"No." Taylor shook his head, thank god. "Tyler is, and I think Rogue is as well. Lexi was born to them, but she isn't one of them."

"Good." I reply quietly, diverting my gaze to the floor. They can't know about me, but I won't keep hiding if they have anything to do with my past.

If they're  with the people who killed my parents, I'll set their entire world alight.

If they're with the people who destroyed my family, I will burn their entire empire to the ground.

"I know what you're thinking." Another voice spoke up, and everyone else tensed. I met Erin's emotionless eyes. "Alexi is nothing like Tyler. We're her family."

Clenching my fists, I stay silent while staring into his blue eyes. I completely ignored the violent scars littering his face.

We're.

Does that include me?

Does he still consider me family?

"You're not blood." I stated simply, ensuring that he couldn't see the inner argument I was having with myself.

Does he even know who I am?

Dylan answered, sparing me the torture of looking at Erin. "Once you're close enough, she considers you family. Blood or not. It's rare for her to do that though. That girl has lost more than anyone will ever know, not even including her family. If you were anything like us, you'd understand."

Sensing the hidden message and curiosity in his tone, I decide that having these people as enemies would get me killed far quicker than any bullet ever could.

"You all seen my brother, right? The guy who came here the other day?" I wait for most of them to nod. "He's the only blood relation I have left. Don't try to assume that I'm any different from you just because I don't act like I've lost people. If you want to know something about me, then ask."

"Why'd you send him away? If he's your brother?" One of the twins, whom I recognised as Sawyer, questioned.

"I barely know him. Since....Since my Mom and Dad died, I've only seen him a few times." I answer simply, shrugging my shoulders as though it didn't bother me.

But judging by Taylor's sharp gaze, I didn't succeed.

Everyone else accepted the answer with acquiesce. River and Jesse walked over to the snooker table, Devil and Dylan following them silently. A snooker cue was held out to me, and I accepted it without hesitating.

Devil looked at me, eyeing my arm as I stretched over the snooker table to line my cue up with the ball. I shifted uncomfortably when I realised his eyes were staring at the scars lining up my skin. Ignoring him, I pushed the cue forward and hit the ball, potting it instantly. I smirked at Jesse, handing him the cue silently. Nodding my head at the rest of the boys, I walked off and sat on the chair in the far corner of the room so I could observe them all.

Devil approached me quietly, seating himself on the chair adjacent to mine. Turning around to face me, his hand came out and took my arm, running a finger gently over the raised scars.

His voice came out soft, a mere whisper. "Want to talk about it?"

If there was one thing I had learnt about Devil in the time I'd been in the Vipers, he was ruthless and brutally callous. He was a relentless warrior who didn't show mercy or sympathy for anybody. Seeing him with a delicate gaze in his eyes was foreign to me, almost confusing me in some aspects.

A part of me wanted to tell him to go fuck himself and leave me alone, yet the other part wanted me to embrace the child before me. He was just a boy after all, a boy who was forced to grow up from the war which unfolded.

The war which ended up killing both of our parents.