Running

My legs were burning, my lungs were burning, I have never run so long in my life which is saying a lot. The sound of paws still hitting the warm soil behind us motivates me to keep going. Motivates me to keep running. My eyes drift to my family Liam, Leah, and Ashter. Not my real family of course but all I have left. That thought propelled me forward my claws digging into the soft soil to jump over the fallen tree in the dense forest. The sound of birds flapping frantically to get out of the way of the wolf chase below. My hair stands on end, my ears twitching letting me know there is a border ahead.

"The River Moon Packs border is up ahead. Liam what do we do?" I asked in our mind link. I don't slow down, I don't falter, one misstep and we will all be caught. The howl behind us informs us they know we are almost to another packs border they will miss their chance if we cross it.

"We have to go to their territory and run like hell. If I remember correctly they have open land, rogue territory after their land hopefully they haven't expanded recently." Liam replied.

Hopefully? That's all we have been doing lately, hoping. Hoping we don't get caught, hoping we will live to see another day. It's exhausting.

"No! I am done running. I am going to have a heart attack if I keep running! We have to stay in their pack territory tonight. We can leave before sunrise tomorrow. I need food." Leah hissed out.

Food. As if on cue I feel my stomach rumble in agreement. I tighten my grip on the backpack in my mouth.

"Alright, Ashter, how are you?" Liam asked.

Ashter whimpered "Well my legs are melting and this stupid stuff they injected us with is burning!"

"Hang in there." Liam said

"The border!" I yelled, feeling the power of a packs border line pulse through the air. A warning to stay back.

I heard gunshots go off and duck my head on instinct. I jump over the border ignoring the intense feeling wash over me. I cut a quick left, running north i dont need to look back to know the others are following me.

"I hear a stream!" I tell the others.

"They aren't following us anymore." Ashter said, relief clear in his voice.

We all slow down as we reach the stream. I put the backpack down before going to the shallow stream drinking the water vigorously. I shifted back into my human form and cupped my hand rinsing my hair and face in the cool stream.

I looked over as the others joined me in the stream sighing with relief.

"That was scary." I said breaking the silence.

"Yes, yes it was. It hasn't been that close in a long time." Leah said, splashing her face with the water to clean the dirt off.

"Here come get your clothes we have to burn this back pack, find a cave to camp out in, then go into the city grab a bite to eat, then go shopping, alright?" Liam said counting the small stack of money in his hand.

The three of us nodded slowly. I go to the backpack I was carrying pulling out my clothes and socks that hid only 50 dollars in them and gave it to Liam with a small smile. He looked down at me with a small smile gracing his face. I sighed, he is so perfect, his dark black hair, warm milk brown eyes, and light brown skin. Even the stubble from not shaving for a while made him sexy. He was clearly a warrior, lean and tall, the complete package. Wow I loved him, I don't remember ever not loving him. Even though he was Leah's older brother I had always looked up to him in complete admiration. I wish he was my mate, I roll my eyes at that painful thought. Liam raises his eyebrows at me. I blush and look away pulling on my sweatpants. Well we will never stop running so it's not like I will ever find my mate anyway I bite my bottom lip at that thought. My eyes drift over to his sister and my best friend Leah.