Chapter 7

"Sho, supper is ready." My aunt called out from the dining room. I was just about to get out of my room and rush down the stairs. It's been two days since the day I got here from my surgery, but in this timezone, this is my fourth day in Aunt Jessica's house.

You see, three weeks before my operation, I was sent to my mom's childhood home in the countryside to live with her sister for the summer since she saw Mom didn't give me the care I needed. At first, I found it boring since I barely had anything to do. It was also really lonely since there was no kid my age within a 20-mile radius.

Then I met this girl named Arriety. Well, isn't exactly a human girl; she was a borrower--a little person who "borrows" things we humans can live without; sugar, tissue paper, sewing needles--those kind of stuff.

But what Arrietty lacked in size, she made up for bravery, perseverance, and compassion. When her mother was kidnapped, she was determined to get her back and bring her home safely. And together, we did just that. Now, she and her family fled farther into the country to prevent any other human from seeing them.

Hara, our housekeeper, was setting the plates when I arrived the dining room. Aunt Jessica was already seated on the other end of the table. I took my seat in front of her, while Hara took a seat in between us. I couldn't help but feel disgusted at her.

Ugh...I'll never forgive her for taking Arrietty's mom away from her. It wasn't obvious yet, but she was really obsessed with finding them, the borrowers.

In fact, my family's been trying to prove their existence for years. But they never wanted to keep borrowers locked up in a jar inside the pantry. Only Hara went to that extent.

"So tell me, Sho, have you seen any little people in your room lately?" Hara said. I snapped out of my thoughts and realized that Hara and Aunt Jessica were already ingrossed with their conversation of borrower sightings.

I'm gonna have to choose my words wisely...

"Nope, I can't say that I have." I replied, shaking my head.

Then Aunt Jessica showed me the old doll-house,walking me through the neat stuff inside (including a kitchen with a working cooking stove). Back then, I'd want to give Arrietty's family a few things from this doll-house, but now I know better; stealing those items in the first place would be a dangerous idea.