“Cool, do you-” Nathan broke off suddenly and looked down at the ground. I was confused but didn’t have time to ask before Beau, Luke, Jai and two guys I didn’t recognize swaggered over.

“Ariana, right?” Luke questioned and I nodded with a smile. Everyone remembered me so far, that’s a start. “What are you doing talking to this loser?” He snickered and shoved Nathan slightly.

Nathan didn’t move his gaze from the ground and I had no clue how to react or what to say.

“He stumbled!” Beau cackled. “That wasn’t even a push!” He slammed into Nathan, throwing all his body weight into the shove. Beau was taller and had a more athletic build, so it was nearly impossible for Nathan not to stumble even more. This time, he dropped the book and one of Jai’s friends I didn’t recognize snatched it.

“The Illiyad?” He read the cover. “What the f_ck is this?!”

“Lemme see,” Luke commanded, reaching around Jai for it who shifted on his feet but saying nothing. Luke took the book in both hands and broke it over his knee.

“Hey, there’s the bus!” Beau noticed. “C’mon Ariana, come sit with us.” I still didn’t have any clue how to react, but defending the bullied kid probably wouldn’t help my case. I felt horrible with myself as I nodded and walked onto the bus with them.

“New kid too?” One of the guys I didn’t know clamped a hand on Frankie’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, we’ll save ya from the dork too.”

I ended up sitting with Jai on the bus and Frankie with the guys I didn’t recognize, who introduced themselves as Daniel and James. Jai let me sit by the window, but the bus got caught in too much traffic for looking out it to be interesting.

“Nervous?” Jai asked conversationally, taking his headphones away from his ears.

“Yea,” I nodded quickly and laughed nervously.

“Hey,” He said in a considerably lower voice. “I don’t like what they do to him either, but I’ve been there and it’s easier to just say nothing and fake laugh.”

I looked over at him. He was wearing a beanie like yesterday, but the 90’s style headphones had been traded out for apple headphones. His big brown eyes went with his dark brown hair perfectly, like he was a drawing and they were drawn by the same crayon. He had a long face that had a “baby” quality when he smiled. I wondered what he meant by “I’ve been there” but just nodded.

“Thanks, Jai,” I smiled, actually grateful for the advice. I still felt bad not defending him though.

“Welcome,” He smiled back and offered me a headphone. I graciously took it and popped it in my ear. He tapped a button on his phone and music floated through the headphones. Jai listens to… Around The World by Justin Bieber. Interesting. He brought a finger to his lips like his music taste was a secret. I giggled quietly and sat back in the seat listening to the music.

The school was a huge building with three floors; I would definitely get lost. I followed Jai off the bus, avoiding Nathan’s eyes when I passed him sitting alone.

“I forgot to ask, what grade are you in?” Jai asked, falling back into step with me.

“Tenth,” I answered looking around the school in amazement. Everything was so modern looking with glass walls and steel braces.

“Me too,” Jai said happily. “Luke is too; he’s my twin.” He continued leading me somewhere through the hall. “Nathan is too,” He added in a whisper.

I pulled my schedule out of my bag and looked at it, but none of it meant anything to me. “Sorry, can you tell me where I’m going?” I asked nervously. It was a mess of colors and numbers.