Chapter 12 - Edited

Julia's POV

"And I asked her during dinner, Ma, where'd you make me?" Lora continued with her story and I rose my brow, "she said I was made in a family car." Her flat face was filled with disappointment. 

I blinked slowly and nodded as if I was interested in knowing how her parents made her. "In a car?" 

"In a Toyota!" she confirmed and held my hand tight, her eyes piercing through mine. "So that's why I like men with cars." 

Staring at her, I muttered, "Gross." 

What's funny was that we had this conversation right in front of the makeup artists who continued putting on Lora's foundation. She looked mortified, to say the least, and laughed awkwardly when my idiot friend asked her where she'd want to create her newborn. 

Meanwhile, I gazed at my figure in the mirror in my birthday outfit. My figure was embraced in the mermaid-cut dress with little gemstones delicately sewn to trace the bust area. Hair cascaded down my back like the time I cascaded down the staircase bringing a tray of banana muffins last week. Smiling to myself, I looked down to cup my boobs in hopes of lifting them up. I pouted."Eighteen and still built like a brick from Home Depot."

"Very much so," Ashlee said from behind and compared her boobs to mine. "Ha! Loser."

I glared at her and heard Lora squeal the moment she was finished with her look. Twirling from the corner, she stopped beside me to scrutinize my figure. Her head tilted and grabbed Ashlee's arm to which she responded with a click of her mouth. "Hold still!"

Ashlee stayed put and questioned Lora's hands that measured the circumference of her breasts and slowly transferred it to mine. Nodding, she stroked her imaginary beard. "Not so blessed, not so blessed."

And so I hit her forehead with the purse I picked up from the dresser. She cursed, of course. Before she tried to hit, my aunt came in a dress in the shade of navy blue matched with her monster stilettos. "You look amazing, sweetie!" she told me, smothering my cheeks in kisses. 

Mom would definitely scold her for ruining the foundation. Dad would probably be busy making a bow for his suit. 

Mom. Dad. There was a slight pang in my heart when they came into my thoughts. I blinked away the tears and replaced them with a smile. 

Truly, I was happy. 

***

As I opened the doors of the room where my party was going to be held, I gasped in shock. Like, eyes bulging, nose flaring, my shit about to run down my dress kind of shock. 

The sides of the room were filled with rows of tables that were covered in white and blue sheets with gold silverware. The pillars connected the draperies we requested in blue - well, the draperies Aunt Carla blackmailed for. Hanging right above our noses was a disco ball almost tenth the size of my house. Maybe that was an exaggeration or maybe I'm just really ignorant. 

Projected on the blank wall was my face from my pre-debut photoshoot with the words, Celebrating Julia's Eighteenth. 

What caught most of Ashlee's attention was the cake with studs of sugar gemstones and ribbon. "Don't touch it," I told her. She scoffed and walked with us right after blowing the cake a kiss goodbye.