Chapter 7 - Edited

My eyes drifted open from my sleep and groaned lightly, stretching my body as I lay flat on the bed. The blankets were splayed away from me and I moaned as my arms extended over my head. A loud thump was audible when I was rolling and fell on the carpeted floor in my room. I quickly sat up and sighed, rubbing my bottom before actually getting up, muttering profanities under my breath.

This day, I was determined to stay away from William. The events of the day before still buzzed at the back of my head and I shook it away, not wanting to think about it any longer. I walked towards the bathroom with my phone in hand and unlocked it, only to find that Lora hadn't messaged me. My notification box was vast and I quirked my eyebrow at the different possibilities to why she hadn't answered my texts. I laughed at the thought of my notification box getting full.

The moment I finished getting ready for the second day of school, I slipped on my shoes, tying the laces. I huffed and fanned out my blouse and headed down the stairs and into the kitchen. Aunt Carla was nowhere to be seen and my eyes trailed down at Ashlee who was eating a bowl of cereal. Once her eyes met with mine, she picked up a rolled newspaper and raised it up, threatening to be chucked towards me. I raised my hands up and she slowly put the newspaper down. "Will you please stop that?" I murmured.

She only scoffed and went back to shoving Cheerios down her esophagus. I managed to take the seat beside her and poured myself my own bowl. Her eyebrow was raised at me and I slumped my shoulders lightly. "Any reason to why you look like you're about to kill me?"

She sent me a hateful glare and dropped her spoon inside her empty bowl. "You are so freaking self-centered," she muttered, looking down at the rolled newspaper.

I gaped at her. "Are you serious?" I demanded. "You want me to befriend that weirdo?"

She rolled her eyes at me, clearly trying to annoy me, and it worked. "I know it's weird," she began, "but you didn't have to be so rude." She stood up from her chair and pushed it back in, striding towards the kitchen sink. "Besides, he had to stomach the taste of Aunt Carla's stale cookies. You've got to give him mad respect for that."

I snorted, realizing that he was just eating the cookies slowly just to seem nice. "So?"

"So it means that you've got to befriend him," she stated. "And if he really is the stalker you think he is, then that's the time you're going to end the friendship. Back away and don't turn back."

My eyebrows knitted together at how Ashlee is so adamant that I try and have a civil conversation with someone who has been tailing me for months on end. "And if I end up in a van that he will possibly convince me to get in, I'm coming back to slam your head against the dashboard of my jeep."

She grinned indiscreetly when I conceded defeat. "That's the spirit." She grabbed the rolled newspaper and hit the back of my head with it, earning a short-lived glare from me. "I've always wanted to do that."

***

I entered through the doors of the building, mentally preparing myself for what I'm getting myself into. With my backpack on my shoulder, I swung towards the cafeteria where most of the students waited for the bell to ring, signaling the first period. Opening the swinging doors, my eyes immediately scanned the room to find Lora, only to come to a realization that she was nowhere to be seen. Who I did see was William, hunched over reading a book by the far end of the room.

I prayed a silent prayer in my head and looked up at the ceiling at particularly nothing and walked my way towards him, muttering my mental plan on what to do if ever he ties me up and shoves me into the back of a truck. My fists were clenched and I arrived at my table and he looked up at me.