Nine

Zayn point of view - two weeks later

I walk out to the table the hostess had sat someone at for me. "I'm Zayn and I'll be your–" I stop when my eyes meet Justin's.

"Hey, baby," he croaks.

I study his features. There are dark circles around his eyes and he looks pale. "Hi," I frown. "You look sick, Jay," I observe.

"Yeah," he clears his throat. "I haven't gotten much sleep lately."

"You look skinnier," I sit across from him.

He nods, "haven't eaten much either. But I didn't come to eat. I came to see you."

"What?" I furrow my eyebrows. "Babe, you need to eat and sleep. I'll go get you some food. What do you want? A sandwich or soup? How about both?"

"Baby," he chuckles as he reaches over to grab my hands. "I'm fine, really. I'm just a bit under the weather, okay? Don't worry about me."

I shake my head stubbornly. "I'm going to get you a sandwich and some fries. What do you want on the sandwich? Turkey, lettuce, mayonnaise, and tomatoes?"

He nods, "thanks, peanut."

I sigh heavily as I walk to the kitchen. I finish writing on my pad of paper and rip it off to hang it for the chef. As I pass Justin to give food to my other customers, I see his elbow rested on the table and his hand holding his head up. I set the plates on the table in front of the elderly couple before turning back. I stop at Justin's table and sit down again, this time next to him.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I whisper.

He opens his eyes then moves his head to my shoulder. "Yeah, baby. I'm just tired," he murmurs.

I caress his cheek and kiss his forehead. "My shift ends in ten minutes, then I can come sit with you, okay?" He nods, keeping his eyes shut. "I have to get up, baby. I'll get your food and come back."

And I did just that. I ordered something for myself and sat with him. We didn't talk much, he scoffed down his food and laid on my shoulder again. I continued to eat. When we were completely done, Justin had asked me to drive him home.

He plops himself down on the couch. "You don't want to do to bed?" I kneel next to him.

He shakes his head, putting his arm over his eyes. "No, go get Ginger and come back so we can cuddle," he mutters.

"Okay, I'll be right back," I kiss his forehead.

...

I set down the bags of groceries on the counter, I put away the Oreos, granola bars, cold cuts, and other foods I felt Justin needed in his house. I also stopped at my apartment to grab Ginger and some clothes. I let my kitten out of her cage, only for her to jump onto Justin's chest and lie down.

His eyes snap open. "That startled me," he mumbles, petting the cat.

I giggle as he closes his eyes again. "I bought you some groceries," I inform him. He moves Ginger next to him and pulls me down. I lay on his chest, my head next to his, my legs between his. "I also bought you some cold medicine and some tummy ache medicine."

He rubs my back. "Thank you, baby." He presses a kiss against my cheek. My legs lay between his, my chest against his, my nose touching his cheek.

I have to use all my courage to tell him how I'm feeling. "I love you," I whisper.

"Yeah?" He furrows his eyebrows, his eyes still closed. I nod, feeling my cheeks burn crimson. "I love you, too, baby, so much." I grin to myself, kissing his cheek. He chuckles and wraps his arms around me tightly. "Take a nap with me, peanut."

"Yes, Daddy," I murmur as my eyes begin to droop.

a/n

I love writing this story so much. I'm so excited for what's to come! I hope you all are also!