31. Sister's Forever

Start from the beginning

They headed in the direction of town and where almost there when suddenly Klaus was standing in front of them. Damon and Stefan eyed him warily but Caroline marched right up to him, showing no fear.

"I blame you for this. She was fine until you took her, then she suddenly turns her emotions off. What did you do to her?" Caroline was all but shouting at him. She was shocked when Klaus actually looked ashamed, it was not a look she had ever seen him wear nor had she expected to ever see him wear.

"I... I couldn't understand how she could defend you all so much after what Damon did, how you all expect her to be forgiving off one monster but not another. So, after she tried to save Damon and I stopped her... when she fell asleep, I gave her a dream..." his voice was low as he spoke. Stefan took a step forward.

"What did you show her?" he asked him.

Now anger flashed across the original hybrids face, "I showed her what she refused to acknowledge. I showed her exactly what Damon did to her parents. I made her see it. I didn't think she would flip the switch, wake Rebekah and go on some sort of killing spree." He snapped.

There was a sharp intake of breath as Caroline looked on speechless. She couldn't imagine the pain Jennifer must have felt seeing that happen as if she had been there. She looked back at Damon and saw the raw pain there. She spun back around on Klaus,

"Well it's not just us she's going after." She threw at him. "She obviously has a problem with you too, as she took Elena and left. Just how will you make your precious hybrids if she kills her?"

Klaus laughed at the trio, "Do you really think I give a damn about the hybrids or the doppelganger. You throw all these accusations at me, yet the Salvatore's have repeatedly put all of Elena's' friends lives in danger just to protect her. You're all looking to save Elena, and I'm betting if it came down to it you wouldn't hesitate to kill Jennifer to do it."

Caroline saw from Damon and Stefan's expressions that Klaus was right and she faltered a bit in her conviction against Klaus. She would probably never forgive him for all the things he had done to her and her friends since he arrived in Mystic Falls, but it couldn't be denied that since he met Jennifer everything he did was to save or protect her.

"Well why don't we all shut up arguing and go find them, then you can compel Jennifer to turn her emotions back on and then we can sort through all this crap." Caroline ordered.

The three men looked at the bossy blonde and decided she was right. Without another word they all turned and headed into town. They stood on the green in the town centre trying to figure out where to start.

Caroline closed her eyes and focused her hearing; she picked up voices coming from the Grill and recognised Jennifer's and Rebekah's. Without saying a word she sped to the building knowing the Salvatore's and Klaus would follow. The front door to the grill was locked but Caroline broke the lock and ran in, the others on her tail. They pulled up short at the sight in front of them. Jennifer was standing behind the bar pouring whiskey into two glasses while Rebekah sat on a stool. But that wasn't what stopped them.

"Oh my god!" Caroline's voice came out barely above a whisper as four sets of eyes flew to the ground by Rebekah's feet, where Elena lay dead.

Jennifer's POV

I was pouring myself and Rebekah a drink when the door to the grill burst open. Caroline, Damon, Stefan... and surprisingly Klaus... came pouring in. They all stopped short when they saw Elena, lying dead at Rebekah's feet. Rebekah looked from me to the others but I just shrugged, lifted my drink and walked out from behind the bar. I sat on one of the stools and took a drink before speaking,

"So, how is everybody doing?" I smiled at them. Nobody spoke, well this was boring. I noticed Klaus watching me so I blew him a kiss.

Rebekah opened her mouth to say something, but at that second Damon let out a roar and charged at her. Oh here we go, I made myself a little bit more comfortable. Rebekah threw Damon off in a second but then Stefan joined the fight against the original sister. I continued to drink while even Caroline tried to help the brothers.

Klaus started to walk over to me, completely ignoring the fighting that was destroying the bar around him. I jumped off the stool and met him half way. But before he could say anything to me I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Rebekah had a broken stool leg in her hand and she was about to stake Caroline.

I saw Caroline's eyes fill with fear as the wood came closer to her heart and before I knew what was happening I was across the room and between the two blondes. I felt the wood slide into my back and scrape against the side of my heart. I was facing Caroline and her eyes went wide as she realised what I had done.

I was barely aware of what was happening. I thought I could hear someone screaming behind me but I wasn't sure. I was just focused on Caroline whose hands automatically went around me, holding me.

"Why?" she whispered.

I looked at her with tears in my eyes, convinced I was about to die. "I don't know, I saw her about to kill you and something inside me snapped. I could hurt them all Care... I really could, but not you. You're my sister remember. Sister's forever."

Something wasn't right though, why wasn't I dead. Before I had to think about it too long, Klaus was across the room and had pulled Rebekah back. She still stood behind me with her hand on the stake, shock and surprise on her face. Klaus gripped the wood and pulled it out of me, it scraped against my heart again on the way out, causing a scream to rip from my throat.

Once the wood was out the relief was instant. I looked up into Nik's face and smiled. He returned it with one of his own. With his help I stood up, as did Caroline. She was still watching me closely.

"You flipped the switch back for me?" she asked, wonder in her voice. She was used to people risking themselves for Elena, or even Bonnie but not her.

My voice was weak as I answered her, "I don't know what happened. When I thought you were going to die, it was like all my emotions came back with a vengeance. I wasn't even thinking about it."

There was a groan from behind us and we turned to see Damon and Stefan standing up, they had been knocked out for a few moments by Rebekah. They looked over to us, when Damon's eyes met mine they narrowed and he started over. Klaus stood in front of me, his expression daring Damon... or anyone... to come near me.

"She killed Elena, or she let Rebekah do it. Either way..." Damon growled.

It all came rushing back. Everything I had gotten Rebekah to do, the people I had killed... and Elena. I stepped around Klaus and looked around me. Klaus by my side, Caroline on my other side, Damon and Stefan in front of me and Rebekah off behind me. All watching me, waiting for me to speak,

"First off, I asked Rebekah to do what she did. It's my fault not hers." I saw the surprise on Rebekah's face as I defended her. It was clear that she was not used to it, and that she thought with my emotions back on I would hate her like everybody else. I gave her a smile before continuing,

"However... there was something that not even Rebekah knew. I compelled Elena to not speak so as not to give the surprise away."

I could see the confusion on everybody's face but no one spoke, so I kept going, "Well before Rebekah got here, when it was just myself and Elena... well I..."

I was interrupted by Elena sitting up with a wild look in her eye, 

"Well... I fed her my blood." I finished.