30. Nice Try Klaus!

I awoke to raised voices. I had to blink several times before everything came back to me. I sat up in the bed and noticed Caroline wasn't there.

I followed the agitated voices into the kitchen, everybody went quiet at the sight of me. Without saying a word I walked past them to the kettle. I didn't care if the cabin was on fire, I needed my coffee before having to play nice with this lot.

When the coffee was made and I had taken the first mouthful, I savoured it. It felt like forever since I last drank some.

Now I faced them, "What's going on?" I asked, drinking the coffee.

They all looked concerned... or was it worried? I was about to say 'Fine, don't tell me' but remembered I'm supposed to care about this crap. I mirrored the looks they wore, "Seriously, what's going on?"

Elena stepped closer to me, "Jennifer," her voice was cautious as she spoke, "it's about the council."

She trailed off as she looked to the rest hoping they would explain. Damon let out an exasperated sigh and picked up where Elena left off.

"Somebody took out the council last night. They're all dead. We can't be sure but we think it was a vampire."

I made my hand fly up to cover my mouth as I gasped. I turned to Caroline,

"What about your mother?" I asked. I could see the mixture of relief and guilt wash over her face. Relief her mother was alive and guilt over that relief as the others were dead.

"My mom is fine, so is Ty's mom." She told me.

Now they all looked to me again, Elena was speaking again. "We're worried about you. Someone is going after council members. The sheriff and mayor are safe in Caroline's house for now. Vampire's won't be able to get them without being invited in, and that's not going to happen."

I had to turn to pour more coffee into my mug. Safe from all vampire's except the very one that was a lifelong friend of Barbie. The one vampire that can get in just happens to be the one with the plan to kill them all.

I wonder if it would be too obvious if I were to suddenly start rubbing my hands together in a diabolical way while shouting Mwahahahaha in a menacing and evil tone.

I had to wipe the smirk from my face before turning back to them. "So what, someone is going to try and kill me as well?"

Caroline was by my side in a flash. "I will not let anybody hurt you ever again."

The conviction in her voice was so strong I was honestly surprised, she sounded so... sincere. I opened my mouth to speak when my extra hearing picked up footsteps approaching the cabin. Caroline, Damon and Stefan heard them too but before anyone had a chance to say anything there was a knock on the door. Everybody's head swung to face it, but it was Jeremy that actually pulled it open.

 Klaus stood there, his eyes quickly scanned the room until they landed on me. Oh he did not look happy... although he did look hot. I wonder if he would be up for... I shook my head as I realised that Jeremy was speaking.

"What the hell do you want Klaus? You're not getting near my sister." Aw, how cute, baby brother sticking up for Elena. Klaus ignored him, still looking at me,

"Don't tell me they haven't figured it out yet?" he asked. Only I knew what he was talking about. He did seem puzzled by the fact that they didn't realise I had turned it off. I took a few steps closer to the door, but not too close.

"You need to leave Klaus. I may not be able to help them against you, but that doesn't mean we're going to let you just take our friend. Especially after all you've done." My voice was low as I spoke.