[1] - The Captain's Request

Start from the beginning

Ten or so great big men, much bigger than Silena, scurried away in different directions. Caspian let out an exasperated noise and crouched down next to the girl. His big hands grasped her ankle and he quickly ripped the piece of cloth off her, tying it around his wet hair as he stormed away.

Caspian slammed the door shut in the captain’s cabin at the end of the hall. His fists were shaking in rage. He knew he shouldn’t get upset so easily, but he couldn’t help it. He really should have mastered his anger years ago, but it was easier said then done. Many people had tried to help him in the beginning, but that had ended badly for all of them. The lasting bruises and cuts could prove it.

It wasn’t until twenty or so minutes later that there was a faint knock on the door. Caspian grumbled something incomprehensible as he collapsed onto his bed, his muscular arms resting behind his head.

Caspian’s first mate, Jeffrey Holmes, strolled into the room with a casual look on his face. His wrinkled hands were tucked into his pockets, his weather-beaten eyes dancing across the room. Behind him entered Silena in her nightgown, and since Caspian knew both Silena and Holmes so well, he could almost imagine the conversation that had ensued outside his door: Silena would have tried to scurry off to bed quickly without apologizing, but Holmes had fetched her and thought up a threat to get her out of her cabin and down the hall to fix the bump in their already unbalanced relationship.

She jumped suddenly, as if Holmes had nudged her in the back, edging her forwards. Her pale cheeks flushed pink as she looked down at her bare feet, one of which was tracing a circle in the wood. This was one of the things Silena and Caspian had in common: both had the uncanny ability to weasel out of having to apologize, therefor, when they were forced to do it, both were absolutely horrible.

“I’m… I’m sorry for what, er, happened on deck.” she muttered softly, chancing a glance at Caspian’s face. His expression was hard, impossible to read, but he accepted her apology and politely asked her if she would care to return to her bedroom.

Holmes attempted to follow her out, but one cough tied him to the threshold as he hesitated, and finally turned around.

“Yes, cap’n?”

“Please watch over Silena tomorrow, or get Byrd to; she has more faith in her old man than I do. Under no circumstances must she leave this ship.”

“Yes, cap’n.”

                                                                        * * *

It wasn't until half past nine that Mary-Alice Kennedy noticed the pirate ship had arrived to port. She had been in her cabin until that time, relaxing after a night of hectic dreams, since she was not needed on the ship until the evenings, anyway. It was after dinner that the captain had announced would be the designated story-time.

It also wasn't until half past nine that Mary-Alice Kennedy was told that she would possibly not be telling a story that night. This, already, was an odd fact on its own: the crew loved hearing stories or old fairytales, especially Alice's. They were bewitched by her detail and in love with her characters, constantly asking when they crossed her on the top deck or in the lunch-room, "So, how's Cinderella doin', young missy?" or "You heard anythin' 'bout little Briar-Rose?"

The only person, it seemed, who did not like her stories was the captain. He would always find an excuse to leave the room or - at the very least - he would stand in the doorway. In fact, it was he who had approached her the moment she stepped out of her quarters, gently grabbing her arm and pulling her a few feet into the shadows.

"We're docking now, Miss Kennedy," Caspian said politely. He never normally acted this amiably towards her, so Alice assumed he was planning on having a nice, stress-free day. "If you would like to go to the village, I can get a crew-member to accompany you. We know this town very well."

"Can Mister Byrd do it, Captain?" Alice asked in a coolly detached tone.

Byrd had been extremely persistent about spending a little time with Alice, asking for an extra story or a small update on the lives of her characters. But Captain Caspian Archer looked uncomfortable.

"Er, no, actually," he replied. "He will be staying on board today. May I suggest Holmes to show you around instead?"

Alice frowned.

"Why is he staying on--"

"It's none of your buisness," said Caspian coldly, before turning on his heel and calling, "Holmes?"

The plump old man was at his side in a second.

"Yes, cap'n?"

"I would like you to show Miss Kennedy around the port of Aliglesia, and maybe lend her a few gold pieces to buy herself something nice. All funds will be refunded to your pockets, Master Holmes, of course." Caspian smiled icily. "Would you have the time to?"

Holmes was the first-mate, and would normally not have the time to. This was a job the Captain would normally assign to someone of a lower rank, like a deck-hand.

"What about Byrd, sir?"

"Byrd," Caspian growled, his anger flaring. "Will be staying on board today, Holmes, do you not remember us discussing this?"

"Yes, cap'n!" Holmes said hurridely, saluting him. "I-I'm sorry, I had forgotten that--"

"It doesn't matter," Caspian sighed impatiently. "Just show her around Aliglesia, will you? I have buisness to attend to."

Alice let herself be courtelously let away by the first-mate, who escorted her down the make-shift steps of the ship to the solid ground below, something she had not walked on for weeks. Holmes held a firm grip on her elbow, as if expecting her to go running in the opposite direction. Alice couldn't see why she would, but she often found herself becoming confused among the pirates, and shook off any feeling of misunderstanding.

                                                                     * * *

"You bastard!" Silena raged. “You low-life son of a–!”

“I’m gonna have teh kindleh ask yeh teh not insult the cap’n  in front of meh, missy.” said Byrd, smiling toothily as Silena struggled in his grip.

Caspian had his back to her and was issuing orders to the rest of the crew about the day’s plans. Silena had attempted to sneak off in the crowd but was caught and – for want of a better word – ‘held captive’ by Byrd.

"You're staying on board, Silena," Caspian reminded her bleakly, "because I'd like this ship to be here when I return, not at the bottom of the ocean; do you understand?"

Silena laughed mirthlessly, finally stopping her struggles for just a moment. Her hair had fallen into her face and she blew it aside, her eyes thin slits as she glared at the captain.

"We can tell who brought you up," she snarled.

"Shut up,"

This seemed to have struck a nerve.

"Why should I?" Silena made a lunge forwards, but Byrd held her back in his muscular arms. "Oh, you," she scowled. "Let me go, I'm not going to go running!"

Byrd looked towards Caspian, who did not move. Reluctantly, he let Silena go. She stumbled towards Caspian, reaching out for his arm. She touched his shoulder and he shrugged away, turning his back to her.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

This was an extremely lame apology, but she had not been pressured to do it, and that made all the difference in the world: Caspian turned to face her.

"I shouldn't have said that." Silena admitted shyly.

"Yeah," Caspian nodded. "You shouldn't have. Byrd?"

The deck-hand seized Silena, dragging her back bellow deck. Before she retreated behind the door, she made sure that he could see her spit on the ground.