Espo

Espo pov

I've tried my best to hide my fear over the last couple of months, but it has been much harder than I thought it would be. I was so scared when Samantha tried to commit suicide. When I came back from the war, my PTSD was really bad, worse than I'd ever let on. I had nightmares, I was paranoid, and I wouldn't let anyone in. It had started to fade, but it's coming back again.

I know she wasn't trying to hurt us, but she did. And it brought back all the nightmares that had finally gone away. I've tried to hide it, but Lanie notices when I wake up drenched in sweat. I tried to stay strong the last few days for Lanie so she would have hope for the girls. In all honesty, I thought they were going to be killed. I can't even express how excited I was to hear they are safe.

But the nightmares still continue, and they will, even after I've held both my nieces in my arms.

My phone rings, and then Lanie's does too. We are both called to the same murder scene, and I'm angry that I don't get to see Samantha and Alexis yet.

When we get back to the precinct, I am frustrated that my nieces aren't there. I spend all day working this case, and there is no sign of them anywhere.

Finally, the day ends and I can go home.

I'm just sitting down to enjoy my nice, hot, ramen noodles when someone knocks on my door. I grumble as I stand to open it. Probably just a guy wanting to sell me the latest TV upgrade.

But when I pull it open, Nick and Samantha stand-well Nick stands while Samantha is draped over his shoulder.

"Woah Nick, have you been drinking?" My nose scrunches at the smell of alcohol, cheap beer.

"No, but she has! I found her on her third bottle in an alleyway and she won't tell me why the hell she was!" He sets her down, but she leans on him heavily.

"Okay, okay Nick. Let's get her in bed."

I lay her down in the guest bedroom, and pull the covers over her.

I walk back out with Nick at my heels.

"Do you know what happened?" I ask gently.

"No! I tried to ask but she just kept insulting me instead! She's mad about something, and I don't know what!" He yells.

"Alright, I get you're upset but you need to be quiet, she doesn't need to hear us talking. Maybe she just had a bad day, needed to blow off some steam."

"When she needs to blow off steam she doesn't drink, she goes for walks. This is different, something is wrong. She was alone, she could have been hurt! And who let her buy alcohol she's underage!"

"Okay, I'll take care of that Nick. And she's safe now, she's not hurt. Everything will be okay. Go home, get some rest. Call her tomorrow, she'll be better, alright?"

He nods reluctantly.

I pull him into a hug. "C'mon, go say goodbye to your sister."

He enters the room and kisses her forehead. "I'll be back tomorrow. You can tell me then what happened."

He leaves, and it's just the two of us. "Chica, are you feeling okay?"

She shakes her head.

"You wanna tell me what happened and why you were drinking?"

She declines again.

"Am I in trouble?"

"I haven't decided yet. If you tell me why, I could make that decision a little easier."

My frustration bubbles when she doesn't answer.

"Okay. Go to sleep, we'll talk about this in the morning."

I turn, but she calls out my name. "Espo?"

"What?"

"Can you stay with me?"

I sigh, some of my anger fizzling out.

"Of course Chica."

I lay down next to her and she takes my hand.

We are in silence for awhile, until I hear her sniffle.

"I'm sorry," she whispers, but before I can respond she's snoring by my side.

What does she mean she's sorry?